Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preventing plugged ducts

Default preventing plugged ducts

I have an irregular pumping schedule during the week at work - and feed on demand at home over the weekends. I also have struggled with oversupply. So...I am prone to getting plugged ducts. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to prevent plugged ducts? B/c of the irregular schedule, my breasts get very big and sore - please help with any ideas! Thanks in advance.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: preventing plugged ducts

My son is 4 months and I have had more plugged ducts than I can even count. I have been taking lecithin supplements (4 a day) and they really seem to be helping. I still get the plugged ducts but only every week and a half instead of every other day.

Can you tell me more about those supplements - i.e. what is in them and where you get them, how much you take, etc.

My lo is 4 mo. also.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

lecithin is a soy supplement. You can get it in oil form or as a pill. I had trouble finding the oil so I use the pill (found that at cvs). I take 4 pills a day and supposedly you can cut back on how many pills you take once you don't get plugs for awhile. I think it has been helping me because I went from getting plugs every other day to once every week and a half. The lecithin is suppose to make your milk less "sticky" so you get less plugs. Here is what I found about it:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

I take lecithin too. NOW brand fwiw.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Molly B-

Did you find that it helped with the plugged ducts? I am getting them less now but I am still getting them. Do they eventually stop all together? I am so scared that I will never be able to stop breastfeeding (I know this is an unrealistic fear) because I have so much milk and whenever the baby changes his feeding pattern even a little bit I end up with a plugged duct. Plus it takes my body so long to adjust, not three to five days like everyone describes. Does this even out eventually? My baby is 4 months by the way.

Thanks for the tips about the supplements~

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rjmom View Post
    Molly B-

Did you find that it helped with the plugged ducts? I am getting them less now but I am still getting them. Do they eventually stop all together? I am so scared that I will never be able to stop breastfeeding (I know this is an unrealistic fear) because I have so much milk and whenever the baby changes his feeding pattern even a little bit I end up with a plugged duct. Plus it takes my body so long to adjust, not three to five days like everyone describes. Does this even out eventually? My baby is 4 months by the way.
    I definitely think the supplement has helped a lot to prevent plugged ducts. With DS and DD1 (when she was a baby), I used to get them very frequently. I could usually work them out but I was always worried about an infection. I have been taking the supplements pretty much daily since DD2 was born, and now I get plugged ducts very rarely. Of course I also have a toddler who nurses each night, which helps empty out my breasts and prevent plugs.
    My experience has been that supply does even out eventually, though.

Have you seen these resources?
    Recurrent Plugged Ducts/Mastitis

Oversupply (see resource links at bottom)

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rjmom View Post
    lecithin is a soy supplement. You can get it in oil form or as a pill. I had trouble finding the oil so I use the pill (found that at cvs). I take 4 pills a day and supposedly you can cut back on how many pills you take once you don't get plugs for awhile. I think it has been helping me because I went from getting plugs every other day to once every week and a half. The lecithin is suppose to make your milk less "sticky" so you get less plugs. Here is what I found about it:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html
    Oh yeah...glad those helped, I know Hillary (nolies.mama) has recomended those for clogged ducts as well...I may investigate too.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language