Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: continuous blocked nose

Default continuous blocked nose

Hi there. I am soooo tired from bad nights. My ds is nearly 3 months old and out of his whole life he has only had about 3 weeks without a cold or blocked nose. My pedi said that it is due to the bm in the nasal passages. It makes sence as it is often worse after I feed him and it`s not so bad during the day because he spends a lot of time in an upright position in the baby carrier. At night he is battling to breath and constantly waking up. Does anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions are welcome!
    Mummy to sweet little Roselyne, born 20 Dec 2006 and Baby Arthur born 4 Aug 2008

Default Re: continuous blocked nose

My lo, now 5 months had a continuous stuffy nose at night for about 5 weeks. About 4 weeks ago I began taking him to my chiropractor and low and behold he hasn't had a stuffy nose since. Before bringing him to the chiro I tried Saline drops, raising part of the crib, eliminations in my diet and nothing seemed to help. I found that his stuffy nose began at the same time as my return to work and his going to daycare (only twice a week, but I'm sure enough to catch germs).

Can you run a cool mist humidifier, raise his body a little when sleeping? I also have cleaned his nose out w/ a cotton swab and he was able to sleep
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maymom32 View Post
    About 4 weeks ago I began taking him to my chiropractor and low and behold he hasn't had a stuffy nose since.
    I have been thinking about doing the same. This is a good reason to try then. Thanks for your note! Can you give me an idea what the chiro does?
    Mummy to sweet little Roselyne, born 20 Dec 2006 and Baby Arthur born 4 Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Can you run a cool mist humidifier, raise his body a little when sleeping? I also have cleaned his nose out w/ a cotton swab and he was able to sleep
    I have been doing this and although it does help a little, he still wakes up all the time and has difficulty breathing.

I also took my older son to the chiropractor when he was an infant for ear infections and that helped him also. All they did was hold him and felt his spine and just adjusted where it needed to be adjusted. They did use their electric adjuster tool on his neck which they have also used on me and is very gentle. I have also noticed a big reduction in the amount that he spits up since I have been bringing him. He never spit up a ton or anything, but now he rarely spits up at all. I figured it was worth a try (with both kids) and definitly helped both times.

We have struggled with this too.
    Though we haven't cured it I've found a variety of things that help.
    The most helpful thing we did was get a really good air purifier. We tried a humidifier before that, but it didn't help. We also have 2 cats and we keep them out of the room lo sleeps in.
    We have also used the saline drops and aspirator, but have had to do that a lot less often since we got the air purifier.

If it's been this way since you brought him home it might have more to do with what you're eating ... Though I don't like to jump to that conclusion generally, you say this has been an on going thing. Whats typically in your diet?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

DD has had a stuffy nose every morning/night for over a week now. I think it's because of the heat in our apartment...it gets really dry in there because the heat is always on due to our cold Ohio weather!

Her pediatrician recommended saline solution whenever she gets really stuffy, so I bought some of the Little Noses saline solution...the package came with a really nifty nasal aspirator, too. So DD gets saline solution every morning and then I aspirate her nose...which she HATES, so I have been going around trying every aspirator I can find, trying to find one that sucks her boogers out in an easier and more timely manner so she won't scream as much.

I'm also in the market for a humidifier. Going to Target to get one of the cute animal ones on sale this week. Hopefully that will help with the nose as well.

And last but not least, I'm borrowing a small air purifier from my mom for our bedroom. With these powers combined -- saline solution, nasal aspirator, humidifier, and air purifier -- hopefully the stuffy noses will bite the dust!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!