Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gimme some advice on weaning...

Default Gimme some advice on weaning...

I have decided to wean DD at 16 months. She nurses down for naptime, bed time, once at night, and occasionally in early morning. So, she is only nursing to sleep. She does fine the 3 nights I'm at work and DH puts her down to bed. She had just gone 3 nights in a row w/o nursing to bed. I tried tonight for #4, but I fought her for 1.5 hours and gave in. As soon as she hit the nip, she was out. I know she is just nursing strictly for comfort. She doesn't take in much milk (unless my breast is very full). How do you "wean" a baby from nursing strictly for comfort??
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Default Re: Gimme some advice on weaning...

I am in the same boat pretty much. I only nurse when he goes down for bed at night, if he wakes through the night, and once early in the morning. It all has to do with the nights sleeping. He doesn't get much milk. He doesnt' even nurse for too long. My Gyn said he didn't even think there was milk there. Though I can express some if I squeeze my nipple, but I never feel full or feel a letdown anymore. It's more of a habit, and comfort thing. He does awesome with me for naps, but night is another story. My mom has watched him and he goes down for her, so he really doesn't need it either. I am ready to wean completely. I just don't know how to start. He is 15 months old, so we are really in the same boat. Can't wait to hear what others suggest!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

bump

Does she take a pacifier? If you are really wanting her off of YOU, you could try a bottle...though *I* wouldn't go that route b/c it's like getting them off one nipple and onto another. Then you may be stuck feeding her to sleep anyway kwim? I know a pacifier is also an artificial nipple but at least it doesn't run out of milk or cause bottle rot.

Now, another thing to think about is that it might take a few tears if you really want to get her to fall asleep without nursing. I know an hour and a half is a long time to fight with her You may find though that if you try again she'll be less resistent b/c she knows how hard she had to work to get it the other night and it may not be worth it to her.

GL and let us know how it goes.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ladybugs View Post
    I have decided to wean DD at 16 months. She nurses down for naptime, bed time, once at night, and occasionally in early morning. So, she is only nursing to sleep. She does fine the 3 nights I'm at work and DH puts her down to bed. She had just gone 3 nights in a row w/o nursing to bed. I tried tonight for #4, but I fought her for 1.5 hours and gave in. As soon as she hit the nip, she was out. I know she is just nursing strictly for comfort. She doesn't take in much milk (unless my breast is very full). How do you "wean" a baby from nursing strictly for comfort??
    Can DH commit to putting her to bed for a couple of weeks?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

What worked for me to wean off nursing to sleep was to say, "I'm going to sing Twinkle Twinkle 3 times and then no more milk." And then that's exactly what I did. I'd nurse her as long as I was singing and then no more (I could sing slower or faster depending on whether I felt like she needed more or less time). She only fussed at me a few minutes for a few days before she was OK with it. Occasionally she'd decide to get mad about it, but I didn't give in (except one time when I could tell she was not feeling well) and she eventually accepted it.

Then you can either cut the time down slowly (only sing it 2 times, then 1 time...) or your lo might just stop expecting it. I didn't have to cut the time down, I just stopped offering it and then if she'd ask I'd say, "Ok you can have milk, but I'm going to sing Twinkle Twinkle 3 times and then no more milk." and she eventualy stopped asking.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    Does she take a pacifier?
    Yes she does take a pacifire only at naptime/bedtime. It's funny she cries to nurse, but never ever loses that paci.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    Can DH commit to putting her to bed for a couple of weeks?
    We have tried that. If she knows I'm home...she will cry until she gets me to hold her...I guess I have spoiled her, a mamas girl.
    [QUOTE=@llli*norasmommy;601551]What worked for me to wean off nursing to sleep was to say, "I'm going to sing Twinkle Twinkle 3 times and then no more milk." QUOTE]
    Thank you! That sounds like a really good idea, I am going to try that. I'm just wondering, at 16 months, will she understand if I tell her I'm going to sing and when I'm done, no more milk?

Thanks ladies!

My dd was 19 months and she understood pretty well. I think if you are consistent about saying it (and then doing it), even if she doesn't understand at first, she'll pick it up.

I also would count them down as I sang: "Two more times...*sing*...one more time and then no more milk"
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous