Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased supply?

Default Decreased supply?

I have been pumping at work now for over six months. It used to be that I would only get about six ounces of milk total from 2-3 sessions. Sometimes I would get 7 ounces. The past two weeks I have been getting 8-9 ounces from two sessions. The past two days I have gotten less and less. Today I pumped twice and got Just around 6 ounces. My son eats 8 ounces at daycare. He is 11 months old. I am wondernig if this means my supply is going down and if so is it too late to build it back up? He is nursing less at home as well and I know that is because he is getting older and eating more solids... I had a really hard time getting my supply up when he was born and although was planning on trying to begin weining at a year I am not quite ready. He has been very sick recently and although he is better right now I want to put off weining right now.

Default Re: Decreased supply?

Your supply may be decreasing but you can still work to bring it up!

Do you have AF back? Could it be coming back? Is it that time of the month?

Can you add a pumping session in for a week or so? Or maybe try a power pump every day for a week or so. That should signal your body for more production.

How often is he at the breast? Can you put hi to breast maybe in place of one of the pumping sessions? Babies are always more efficient at removing the milk and will signal your body to make even more than with the pump.

Then there are always the galactagogues: oatmeal, fenugreek, alfalfa, blessed thistle, fennel.

And try not to stress! That can make your production go down too!

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?