Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help BFing 33 Week Preemie

Default Re: Need help BFing 33 Week Preemie

Just wanted to tell you to keep up the good work! Sounds like you're off to a good start. Things will get easier as your LO nears his due date, so stick with it.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Wow, you are doing a GREAT JOB

When I was practicing BFing my DD2 Penga in the NICU, there are days when I tried but could not BF her all day long. I can totally relate to you that we do have good days and not-so-good- days. As your son matures, you will have more and more good days!

Patience, Persistence, and Practice are key 3Ps for success. You are doing a great job!

I remember Dr. Browns and Playtex *WIDE* with slow nipples were recommended and I used playtex (wide) for Penga while she practiced BFing.

In my case, Penga sometimes refused to nurse, and preferred to bottle-fed. When that happened, I gave her a bit of EBM in the bottle to tame her hunger then tried to BF.

Kangaroo care helped Penga to want to nurse. I put naked Penga on my bare skin (in between breasts) and cover her with blanket, and soon she started to root for BFing. Our NICU OT also showed me to have maximum skin-to-skin contact with her when trying to BF. Position is important, too. Tummy-to-tummy makes babies wants to nurse, too.

Good luck! Please keep us posted
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wakawaka View Post

Kangaroo care helped Penga to want to nurse.

Kangaroo care really is invaluable. We did it all the time...even daddy.

How are you doing now mama? Things going any better?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

sounds like your LO will be great at it soon! yall are doing an awesome job

i know what ya mean about feeling like your taking 2 steps back. in the beginning some days my LO would not even try and some days he did better. i needed those good days though, to give me hope to press on.

once my LO got up to about 6 lbs it seemed like he got strong enough to have a good latch and not fall asleep so much.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Hi,
    I used the Medala mini-Haberman nipple for my son. It was what the LC recommended for him. Granted you had to buy it through the LC. But it sounds as if you have it under control and each day he'll get stronger and better. Way to go.

I have a very similar situation to the original poster and also some questions.

My 33 week'er was born 10 weeks ago and also spent only 1 week in the NICU. He did amazingly well / scored a 9 on his apgar test and the only problem he had in the NICU was a short period of jaundice. I was able to start BF'ing attempts the same day he was born and they were amazed he already had a sucking reflex. Pumping came pretty easily too with the hospital pump.

That said, it was slow going and he mainly took the bottle in the NICU with expressed milk since we obviously werent there for all feedings and he often fell asleep when I BFd him.

Once we got home, we started to transition. I thought he was progressing nicely but about a week or so ago, he started getting extremely fussy at the breast. Screaming and crying within a few minutes of attempts. I had a LC come by yesterday morning who told me his latch was pretty poor and she showed me how to get him on properly. That of course went fine while she was here. Since then, its been hit or miss, mostly miss. He gets very frustrated and is hard to come down once he gets upset. His instinct seems to be to move his mouth back to just the nipple gradually after a good latch. He gets a little upset it seems, too, with me pushing his mouth onto the breast (I wasnt doing that before). I also have a hard time getting used to holding his neck as opposed to putting my hand at the back of his head. He likes to strain against my hand which makes it all the more difficult He also has reflux and is on Zantac / Mylanta for that and that might be part of why he gets upset (the LC and pediatrician both think he has reflux), yet he doesnt fuss nearly as much with the bottle.

He's 10 weeks now / 3 weeks adjusted. The LC thinks he'll get it but I'm having a hard time not getting overly frustrated / crying after the really bad sessions.

Also, the LC had me switch from my single Medela electric pump to the Medela back pack. But I'm concerned that I was actually getting more milk from the single pump, which feels like stronger suck. The Medela CS people say its working properly but since I switched yesterday, I'm hard pressed to get more than 3 oz from the two sides. With the single, I used to be able to manage 4 - 5 oz in the early morning hours. Does it take time for your breasts to get used to a new pump?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm trying to keep it together and keep attempting. Worse comes to worse I hope I can pump enough to keep up the expressed milk and go with the bottle. It's hard to stress him out so much

(I should add, he's been putting on weight like a champ at least....born just under 4 lbs and weighed in today at 9 lbs even)
    Last edited by @llli*scummings; December 5th, 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scummings View Post
    I have a very similar situation to the original poster and also some questions.

My 33 week'er was born 10 weeks ago and also spent only 1 week in the NICU. He did amazingly well / scored a 9 on his apgar test and the only problem he had in the NICU was a short period of jaundice. I was able to start BF'ing attempts the same day he was born and they were amazed he already had a sucking reflex. Pumping came pretty easily too with the hospital pump.

That said, it was slow going and he mainly took the bottle in the NICU with expressed milk since we obviously werent there for all feedings and he often fell asleep when I BFd him.

Once we got home, we started to transition. I thought he was progressing nicely but about a week or so ago, he started getting extremely fussy at the breast. Screaming and crying within a few minutes of attempts. I had a LC come by yesterday morning who told me his latch was pretty poor and she showed me how to get him on properly. That of course went fine while she was here. Since then, its been hit or miss, mostly miss. He gets very frustrated and is hard to come down once he gets upset. His instinct seems to be to move his mouth back to just the nipple gradually after a good latch. He gets a little upset it seems, too, with me pushing his mouth onto the breast (I wasnt doing that before). I also have a hard time getting used to holding his neck as opposed to putting my hand at the back of his head. He likes to strain against my hand which makes it all the more difficult He also has reflux and is on Zantac / Mylanta for that and that might be part of why he gets upset (the LC and pediatrician both think he has reflux), yet he doesnt fuss nearly as much with the bottle.

He's 10 weeks now / 3 weeks adjusted. The LC thinks he'll get it but I'm having a hard time not getting overly frustrated / crying after the really bad sessions.

Also, the LC had me switch from my single Medela electric pump to the Medela back pack. But I'm concerned that I was actually getting more milk from the single pump, which feels like stronger suck. The Medela CS people say its working properly but since I switched yesterday, I'm hard pressed to get more than 3 oz from the two sides. With the single, I used to be able to manage 4 - 5 oz in the early morning hours. Does it take time for your breasts to get used to a new pump?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm trying to keep it together and keep attempting. Worse comes to worse I hope I can pump enough to keep up the expressed milk and go with the bottle. It's hard to stress him out so much

(I should add, he's been putting on weight like a champ at least....born just under 4 lbs and weighed in today at 9 lbs even)
    Have you heard of oversupply or averactive letdown? It sounds like it might be some kind of supply issue. I know I had an overabundance of milk with my daughter. This can make baby feel overwelmed and try to pull away. does he choke or gulp alot when you have a letdown? If you think this might be your problem, you can try looking at the Too much milk forum.
    Or, maybe your letdown is slower than he would like and he gets frusterated waiting for the milk. if that is the problem, you can try to pump or hand express until you get a letdown, then try to latch baby on.
    Hopefully this will help or someone else has some ideas. Hang in there. It gets easier.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

I think you might be right--yes, he tends to gulp and look like he's overwhelmed. It always looks like he's one sip away from having a fit. Which he ultimately does have.

I had a neighbor suggest the same to me today and that I should try pumping for a few mins before feeding. I did this and it started okay but then he quickly started gulping and ultimately started crying after about 5 mins. So I'm not sure what else I should be doing to compensate.

I feel like I'm nearly resolved to EBM and forgo the stress of the BF attempts. I tend to end up in tears and he ends up stressed out.

if it is OALD, there are a few other things that you can try. Maybe something like block feeding would do the trick.

Good luck!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?