Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help BFing 33 Week Preemie

Default Need help BFing 33 Week Preemie

Hi,
    I have read most of the post and replys on this topic. Some of them come pretty close to my situation. There has been such great advice that I thought I would try putting my situation out there for help.

My son was born at 33 weeks. Spent 1 week in the NICU. The NICU nurses were AMAZING, supporting my desire to breastfeed at every feed. They said he would do a great job BFing, but that it was like going to the gym, it would take time to build up his endurance. We have been home for 2 weeks. Here is our routine:

as close to every 3 hours as we can (if he is REALLY sleepy, I let it go a bit longer).

1st - nurse, or try to. 2nd - supplement with EBM. 3rd - pump.

I am producing WAY enough milk. Our freeezer is full.

The issue is this: Some days he has NO interest in BFing. He will try to latch on, suck a few times, then just lay there. On days like this I give it 20 or so minuetes before I give him the bottle. Yesterday was a great day, every feed he stayed on for 15-20 minuets. Today, not so good. He has not had one good feed from me, only the bottle.

He has been on only BM or EBM since day 3. My goal is to BF exclusivley.

Here are my questions:
    Is there a "better" bottle to use? (since we have to supplement, at least until his due date)
    What can I do on the days he does not want to go to breast AT ALL?

I know this is long, but I am at my wits end...thank you!

Default Re: Need help BFing 33 Week Preemie

Hi mama...Congrats on getting your LO home with you and trying to BF!

So your LO would be 35 or 36 weeks now?

It can take time...a lot of time and a lot of work. Our LO didn't get BF down until around his due date. I just put him to breast every single time. Sometime he latched, sometimes he didn't. Sometimes I thought he got milk, most of the time not.

I did basically what you are doing, put to breast, feed EBM, then pump.

What bottle are you using? I know when we were in the hospital they were using the gerber (I think gerber) nipples (those cheap crappy ones) that are very fast. It took a little bit to get him trained back onto a slower nipple. We used the Breastflow bottles until he got the hang of BF.

He will get it eventually mama. It might take time...just keep with what you are doing. You're doing such a good job!

ETA: And btw, welcome!!!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you!
    It was scary coming home with him, but he is amazing. He would be 36 weeks at the end of this week. He was 4lb 10 oz when we brought him home and 5lbs 1 oz a week later! We are so proud of him.

I am bound and determined to BF him. I had a meltdown this morning when it seemed like we were taking two steps back for every step forward. It is good to know that I am not alone, and that I am on the right track. I am very willing to keep pumping, but get resentful because it is time I could be cuddling with him!

Which bottle...we have bought SO many. the ones from the NICU were too fast (even the slow flow), so I went out on a buying spree. My husband likes the platex disposable inserts, I have been using the avent slow flow, reduces colic (yada, yada). Of the 5 types I bought, the Avent seems to make him feed more closely to the way he nurses. I am very willing to try another brand. Can you buy the breastflow at babies r us? I could go when my husband gets home.

One more question. He seems very gassy (according to all the books, legs up, tounge out etc).

by the time I am done nursing, and bottle feeding, it could easily be an hour into the 3 hour cycle. It seems like his sleep is very restless. Legs going up, grungting etc. Should I let him sleep a bit longer, or should I keep to the hospital schedule as much as I can?

He seems to BF better when he is more rested (duh!).

thanks for the warm welcome. I have been feeling pretty isolated. Being RSV season, we are keeping a very low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zachsmom View Post
    I had a meltdown this morning when it seemed like we were taking two steps back for every step forward.
    I know exactly how you feel mama. it is so confusing with a preemie because first off, you have this little tiny baby at home with you and nothing is going the way you had imagined it would the whole time you were pregnant! I thought I had everything so planned out and then bam! 32 weeks!

I am very willing to keep pumping, but get resentful because it is time I could be cuddling with him!
    Me too. I just took comfort in the fact that I was making milk for him...the best thing for him. His daddy would cuddle in the meantime.

Can you buy the breastflow at babies r us? I could go when my husband gets home.
    That is where I got them. They work differently than any other bottle because they make the baby work harder to get the milk. You'll see when you get them, they have a couple parts that when put together works more like the way they would actually get the milk from the breast. Our LC recommended them because of the slow flow, and the action in the beginning that mimics the waiting for letdown. When they get on those fast nipples they get so spoiled that the milk just comes right out...gotta retrain those little guys!

One more question. He seems very gassy (according to all the books, legs up, tounge out etc
    As far as the gas I am not sure. Our LO wasn't really too gassy. But here is some info from the Dr. Sears website (which if you haven't already, check it out...lots of good info). Hopefully some of these tips may help.
    COMFORTING THE GASSY BABY

Swallowing air and passing gas is a normal part of growing up. But excessive intestinal gas can make a young baby miserable. A mother of one of my gassy little patients describes these bloated episodes: "When my daughter is trying to pass gas, it is like a mother going through a difficult labor." Try these ways of getting the air out.

Letting Less Air InGetting More Air Out
    # If breastfeeding, be sure baby's lips form a good seal far back on the areola.
    # If bottlefeeding, be sure baby's lips are positioned on the wide base of the nipple, not just on the tip.
    # Tilt the bottle at a thirty-to-forty-degree angle while feeding so that air rises to the bottom of the bottle; or try collapsible formula bags.
    # Eliminate fuss foods from your diet if breastfeeding (see elimination diet.
    # Feed baby smaller volumes more frequently
    # Keep baby upright (at about a forty-five-degree angle) during and for a half-hour after a feeding.
    # Avoid prolonged sucking on pacifiers or empty bottle nipples.
    # Respond promptly to a baby's cries. First and foremost, be sure to burp baby during and after feedings. You can also try the following techniques and remedies (see Comforting Colic, for more about these):
    # abdominal massage
    # baby bends
    # simethicone drops
    # glycerin suppositories
    # tummy rolls
    Good luck mama. You are doing such a great job. I saw so many moms in the NICU with us that just gave up BF. It IS difficult, but by no means impossible!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you for all the wonderful advice and support. This is the first time I have posted to a website and the response is amazing. THANK YOU! Just knowing I am not the only one feeling this way is very encouraging.

I will have dad pick up the bottle on his way home and let you know how it works.

BTW...the picutre of dad and son is great! I have a similar one. Oh, and I love the name Nolan,it was one of the names we were considering!!

As for having things planned out....so much for that. I didn't even have a bag packed for the hospital. Woke up one morning and had a baby a few hours later!

Thanks again!!

Thank you for all the wonderful advice and support. love the name Nolan,it was one of the names we were considering!!

As for having things planned out....so much for that. I didn't even have a bag packed for the hospital. Woke up one morning and had a baby a few hours later!

Thanks again!!
    Don't mention it mama! it's no use going through something if you can't help out others along the way!

We had his name all planned out, but then after everything that happened, it seemed really fitting. It means "the champion." That's what he was for sure!

And I was in the hospital, they were telling me that I was going to have him soon, and I called my BFF and asked her to go buy him an outfit to go home in since I didn't get to bring his....the nurse was like "sweetie...he's not going to be going home with you right away"

Now I can laugh...then, not so much!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Something I didn't see mentioned and wonder if it would help you guys is a supplemental nursing system... see more about them here.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I was wondering about the supplemental feeding system. I was not sure if it was to help increase the supply or not. I don't have a problem with my milk supply, just getting him to nurse. So you think it would still help?

BTW...finally got him to latch on for the first time today...17 minuets!!

That is incredible! We were nowhere near that at 36 weeks!

We used an SNS not to help us with latching but because he became, in my LC's words, a "snacker." He wanted to latch all the time but just for "snacks" instead of actually really eating a "meal." That helped a lot with getting him to be more efficient.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I was wondering about the supplemental feeding system. I was not sure if it was to help increase the supply or not. I don't have a problem with my milk supply, just getting him to nurse. So you think it would still help?

Well it sounds like your doing well - a little does of persistence goes a long way

I think it is definitely worth looking into getting one
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.