Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I feeding her too many solids?

Default Am I feeding her too many solids?

My daughter is 7.5 months old and I started her on solids at 6 months. For about 2 weeks I gave her 1-2 tablespoons of cereal once per day. I gradually added a few more fruits and vegetables over the next few weeks. She was still only eating about 3-4 tablespoons of solids per day. Sometimes I would only give her a little for breakfast and sometimes she would have a little more at supper if she acted hungry. I always nurse her before I give her any solids, and she still nurses 5-6 times in 24 hours. This past week she has really been wanting to eat (even after she JUST nursed). I've been feeding her 3 times per day for about 4 days now and up until today she would only eat 2-3 tablespoons of solids at each meal. Today, though, she ate one full container of Gerber 2nd foods (green beans) and a little over half of a 2nd foods bananas! I kept watching her closely for signs that she was done but she just kept opening her mouth before I even had the spoon up to her face! Just when I thought she was finally getting full she'd lean forward and open her mouth for more! When she seemed to be getting more distracted and wasn't opening her mouth as quickly I finally quit. Is this amount of solids ok if she's still nursing 5-6 times per day? It was just such a shock to see her eat so much when she'd only been wanting a few tablespoons at a time before today! I've read on this site that breastmilk is all babies really need for the first 12 months but why does she seem so hungry after she has just nursed??
    -Laura

Default Re: Am I feeding her too many solids?

Is it possible to nurse her maybe once more, so it's 6-7 times or so? I have read that it is best to aim for at least 6-8 nursing sessions in 24 hours until baby is at least 12 mo. She could be going through a groth spurt and just need more calories overall for now.

Have you considered letting her self feed solids? That way, she can regulate her own intake much better and will very likley eat less solids overall but will learn more than she will by just opening her mouth for a spoon.