Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much?

Smile How much?

Just wanted to take a poll of all the working moms:

How many times do you pump at work?

How much do you pump? (either each session or the whole day)

Default Re: How much?

Yep. I used to pump 3x per day until LO was 1 YO, I got anywhere between 3-6 oz each session. Now I am pump weaning so I pump 2x per day and my supply has dropped. I now get about 8oz total.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I pump weaned quite awhile ago ...

When I was pumping I found that I needed to constantly adjust my pumping routine based on my DS needs at that time. AND - I had oversupply issues so I ended up tapering my pumping to meet my DS needs.

Typically - I double pumped (both breasts at one) two times while at work. My total pumped per day was about 12 to 16 oz. Amount pumped per session and per breast was highly variable. For example, at my first pumping session I always pumped alot more on the side that DS had NOT last nursed on.

Oh - and I found a hands free pumping gizmo to be critical. I just pumped away while doing email or whatever. And I found it helped to make sure I stayed well hydrated. I kept a large water bottle at my desk.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Yep. I used to pump 3x per day until LO was 1 YO, I got anywhere between 3-6 oz each session. Now I am pump weaning so I pump 2x per day and my supply has dropped. I now get about 8oz total.
    This was my experience as well - now I am pump weaned though - stopped pumping when DD2 was about 17 months.

well I guess since I started this, I should post mine. I pump 3x while at work and get from 6-8 oz. per session. I deal with Oversupply and I JUST started back to work, so who knows how long that will last!

I started out pumping 4X/day, switched to 3X/day after a month or so (getting 2-4 oz/session), and then down to 2x/day at around 8 mos (getting 4-6 oz/session).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am pump weaned, but I used to pump 3x's a day getting 4-6oz per session (about 12-14oz for the day). Occasionally I ended up with 16oz.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

When I first came back to work when DD was 14 weeks, I started off by pumping twice while at work, and wasn't meeting "demand," but I was still getting around 12 ounces. So I tried pumping 3x at work, which didn't really help much, and just seemed to cause stress because I was always worried about pumping and couldn't get any work done!

Anyway, right now I am working on pump weaning, and I pump 1x at work in the afternoon, and usually get about 5 ounces. Then I pump once more after I nurse DD and she goes to bed each evening, and usually get about 3-4 more ounces, for a daily total of 8-9 ounces, which I currently send to daycare the next day in 2 or 3 bottles. Right now we are trying to get DD to drink milk out of a sippy instead of a bottle, which is proving to be quite the challenge!! Since she is still nursing 3-4 times per day, we will likely just quit offering milk in a sippy, and just let her drink water.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Anywhere between once (which I hate but I have the kind of job where I can't just leave) to three times. I have NEVER pumped more than 1.5oz in a session. (Yes, all that effort and time and I am not sure that it is worth it except when I say over and over to myself that I am helping DS as much as I can).
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Hi there. I pump 1 x day (double pump) and I get 10-12oz my son is 26 months. Am considering pump weaning soon.

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg