Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby drinks less EBM, but eat more! Is it normal?

Default Baby drinks less EBM, but eat more! Is it normal?

Hi all,
    Is it normal for a 9 months baby girl to love solid food than expressed breast milk? She will drink as usual when it is straight 'from the tap'. I got worried when she only drinks about 1 or 2 bottles of EBM (5 onces each) daily.

Default Re: Baby drinks less EBM, but eat more! Is it normal?

What is her normal schedule with eating solids and BM? When you are together are you nursing BEFORE offering solids?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Usually she takes 4/5 bottles of EBM and 2 times of rice porridge. Starting this month she takes 1/2 bottles of EBM, 2 times of rice porridge, but in a bigger quantity than last month, and a piece of baby rusk/biscuit.

additional answer,
    when she's with me, there's no difference in frequency of nursing and amount of rice porridge, but I usually give her 1/4 glass of home-made apple juice and baby rusk/biscuit. she'll nurse after solid food and before going to sleep, and sometimes during her playtime, especially during the hot weather (we are in malaysia). she refuses plain water except during meal time.

I would recomend nursing before solids until; there are 1 year old, as BM should be their main source of nutrition. Why are you limiting to 1/2 a bottle? Any rice porrage, etc is inferior to your milk so don't replace BM with rice cereal at this point. Until 1 year solids are only for experimentation so use BM as the main food source. I think if LO has that may bottles/nursing sessions (not limited) she's probably getting enough. How is her diaper output?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My baby decides how much she likes to consume the EBM for the day. Last month she likes to take 4 to 5 bottles daily. This month she only takes 1 to 2 bottles. I supplied 4 bottles to the daycare.