Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know your empty?

Default How do you know your empty?

My son is almost 4 months old and we have been dealing with OS for 2 months now. I have had plugged ducts every few days for almost two months. I am doing block feeding of 6 hour blocks and I am taking lecithin. these things seem to be helping...we had an entire week without a plugged duct last week.
    my question is how do you know when you are empty? my baby sometimes eats for 10 min. and sometimes eats for 45 min or an hour. If the breast is empty will I still be able to squeeze milk out of my breast because no matter how long my baby eats I always have some milk left in my breast. Has anyone had recurrent plugged ducts and had them stop at some point? I am hanging in there hoping my supply will slow down at some point. It is very frustrating.

Default Re: How do you know your empty?

It sounds like you are slowly but surely getting better! I think at 4 mos it is normal to never be completely empty. There will always be a little bit of milk in there. I think my DD was around 8-9 months when I started to notice my breasts would get flat after nursing (I can't remember the age, but I think that's about right).

Hopefully someone else will chime in with advice about the plugged ducts, that was never really a problem for me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well the thing is ones breast is never really "empty"... always milk in your system to be extracted. But as Paige said above, it may take time before youd might notice your breast doesn't seem as full (and that often confuses some moms into thinking they're supply is gone - but rather it's just a signal their supply is regulated)

As for plugged ducts sounds like you're on the right track. This resource might offer something useful you hadn't seen before...

Have you been in touch with a leader or good LC?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

That makes me feel a little better. I was worried that the plugged ducts were coming because I wasn't emptying my breasts enough, and that seemed pretty much impossible. I have contacted 3 LC and 3 local La leche leaders, that have given me suggestions but no one really has any ideas on how to make the plugged ducts stop completely. The response I have been getting is basically that some people are just unlucky and get tons of plugged ducts and no one really knows why. My fear is that my supply will never come down. Though it is a ton better during the day now with the block feeding. The only problem is that at night each breast goes 10 hours instead of 6 since my son sleeps 6-7 hours at night. Will my body eventually figure out that I don't need so much mild at night too?

Yes, your supply will adjust to producing more at certain times each day or night, probably within the next few months. Lucky you getting a nice long block of sleep! Beware, though it can always change. Teething, illness, hitting major milestones, and growth spurts are all normal reasons for baby to start waking more frequently to nurse at night. Enjoy it for now, though!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I hope the plugged ducts stop all together when my milk adjusts. I am very sick and tired of them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rjmom View Post
    I hope the plugged ducts stop all together when my milk adjusts. I am very sick and tired of them.
    I would imagine so - did you get a chance to check out the link I gave above?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the link- I had seen that before. My problem is that the oversupply causes a backup of fatty milk in my nipples and causes a milk blister which then causes a plugged duct.