Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: comfort feeding and OALD/OS

Default comfort feeding and OALD/OS

Hi
    I am pretty sure I have OALD/OS. I can hear my DD (she's 2 1/2 months old) gulping and swallowing air and then it takes us very long to finally gets all the burps out after a feeding making it very frustrating for both of us, she has wattery stools (for just over a month now) and gets fussy when feeding at times and has trouble getting a good seal when she latches (wasnt always like this though). Anyway, my question is: will allow her to comfort feed in between feeding just make my milk supply stay up? Should I try something else instead of letting her soothe on my breast? And how long does it take for block feeding to decrease milk supply, I have been trying it for a week now and I dont notice a difference, I've going about 6hrs or so per side.

Thanks in advance for any advice out there
    Mel

Default Re: comfort feeding and OALD/OS

will allow her to comfort feed in between feeding just make my milk supply stay up? Should I try something else instead of letting her soothe on my breast?
    Any time your baby is at the breast she is stimulating milk production. Normally it's not a problem, but with an oversupply it's a bit different. Perhaps you an help her find her fingers? Or offer her your little finger? A paci helped my ds, but that's not for everyone.

And how long does it take for block feeding to decrease milk supply, I have been trying it for a week now and I dont notice a difference, I've going about 6hrs or so per side.
    It took me about a week to see a difference, maybe a little longer. I would definitely give it a little longer. If you don't notice a difference soon maybe you could add an hour to your block?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I understand your frustration as well

We battled (and won) with OALD and OS. We had to do blocks of 4-5 hours for a few weeks before I really noticed an improvement in my supple regulation and it was over a week, for sure before I really noticed DS getting 'calmer' at mealtime.

This resource
    might offer some useful advice... let us know if it does (or doesn't )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post

I understand your frustration as well

We battled (and won) with OALD and OS. We had to do blocks of 4-5 hours for a few weeks before I really noticed an improvement in my supple regulation and it was over a week, for sure before I really noticed DS getting 'calmer' at mealtime.

This resource
    might offer some useful advice... let us know if it does (or doesn't )

and just to clarify my earlier post. It took a week to notice a difference - less leaking, less gassiness. We are currently still technically block feeding. I nurse ds from one breast only per nursing session, and have been doing this for over 6 months. It works well for us (especially when dealing with his reflux issues - but that's a whole different thread, lol)
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post

and just to clarify my earlier post. It took a week to notice a difference - less leaking, less gassiness. We are currently still technically block feeding. I nurse ds from one breast only per nursing session, and have been doing this for over 6 months. It works well for us (especially when dealing with his reflux issues - but that's a whole different thread, lol)
    Once I started block feeding I never went back. We continued it until he weaned at 23 mo.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.