Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infrequent feedings

Default Infrequent feedings

My son was born @ 36 weeks with a birth weight of 6lb 9oz (currently dropped to 6lb 2 1/2oz). He is currently 10 days old and seems to be feeding infrequently. He'll sleep for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or more at a time and seems to have no interest in waking up any sooner to eat. Is this too infrequent? I'm just concerned he may not be getting enough to gain.
    Last edited by @llli*chase.smommy; October 19th, 2008 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: Infrequent feedings

Newborns generally need to nurse about 10-12 times per 24 hour period. So about every 2-3 hours. 3 1/2 - 4 hours does sound like a long stretch at that age. You might need to wake him up more often to nurse.

One way to tell if he's getting enough is by output -- he should have 6-8 wet cloth diapers or 5-6 wet disposable diapers per day, and 2-5 bowel movements.

It might also be a good idea to take him in for more frequent weight checks. Most pediatricians will let you come in just to have your baby weighed in between appointments. If there is a problem, the sooner you know about it the better. But hopefully what you find out will be reassuring.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; October 22nd, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Infrequent feedings

To wake up a sleepy baby, you could try
    getting him naked
    burp him
    change side.

I was so amazed that burping (I mean REALLY burping) made a big difference while nursing my daughter in the NICU.

Good luck
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!