Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding Schedule

Default Feeding Schedule

Hi All,
    DD is now around 6.5 months old. We just started solids (rice cereal - I know that the concensus on these boards seems to be pretty anti cereal, but we haven't had any issues with it...) on the 11th. After about a week giving it to her in the a.m., we then started with it twice a day. Her pedi said that after about a week of the twice a day, to then start with some other foods, and her suggestion was the "orange" foods - carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. should be first. I'll be making my own purees...

Right now, here's our day...
    between 6:30 and 6:45 am - BF
    around 7:30/7:40 am - 1 tbsp cereal mixed w/about 1 oz BM
    8:30 am - 5:00 pm - 4 4.5 oz bottles EBM (while at day care - last bottle is usually around 3/3:15 or so)
    6:00/6:30 pm - BF
    7:00/7:30 pm - 1 tbsp cereal mixed w/about 1 oz BM
    between 8 and 8:30 pm - BF
    then we put DD down for the night and she sleeps all night...

Her pedi suggested giving her the cereal about an hour or so after nursing...so that's why we've been doing it that way. But I'm wondering if there may be a better way to do it...And I'm not sure how to work in a third "meal" - should I give her the carrots (I think that's what we're going to start with) when we get home, before her 6:00 feeding, then the cereal at 7? Or should I move the cereal to 8 before her last feeding? It's kind of hard, because she's usually pretty ready for bed by 7 or 7:30 - before we started the cereal, she would fall asleep around 7ish and I would just wake her up to nurse her at 8 - but now that we're giving her cereal, we've been keeping her awake...
    We're up at 6:30 am and are out of the house by 8:10, so I'd prefer not to have to change the schedule too much...I guess we can start getting up a little earlier if need be...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated~

Default Re: Feeding Schedule

Why don't you give the carrots instead of the cereal for one meal. Not that I'm anit-cereal necessarily, but you don't absolutely have to do separate meals of both. Or you could mix the carrots with the cereal.

BTW, my ped suggested that if I wanted to make my own purees to not make them with carrots- to use the jarred baby foods for carrots because they tend to harbor nitrates from the soil in much higher concentrations, but the baby food companies have to do extra testing on their soils before they grow their veggies. Just an FYI if you're interested.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Makes sense...maybe we'll do the cereal in the am and the carrots or whatever in the evening...

So when/how should we work up to more? What would be a good schedule?

Also, what about the sippy cup? What to put in it? Water? BM? How much?

Thanks!

I didn't do purees for very long, but I while I was doing it I just kinda followed her lead. If she seemed to want more I'd give her more. At your DD's age, she's not really getting necessary nutrition from the solids you are giving her, it's more for experimentation, getting her used to eating, etc. You don't have to be too strict about how much or how many meals per day just yet. I think the first few months of solids for us we just kind of gave them to her when it was convenient and skipped them when it wasn't. She is getting all the necessary nutrition from breastmilk, so as long as you are still nursing she is fine as far as that goes.

If you feel like you need to start the sippy cup, I'd definitely recommend using BM because water can fill them up and it's nutritionally empty. I don't think we started with a sippy until DD was around 8 mos, though. DD used to want to nurse right after giving solids to wash it down, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DD is 10 months and we only recently started doing two or three meals a day... for the longest time it was only dinner. So, I wouldn't stress about trying to fit in a third meal.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...html#frequency

I also bought jarred carrots instead of making my own, even though I made the rest of the purees. The funny part was, DD moved on to wanting to self-feed by 7 1/2 months so I had all these frozen cubes of purees left.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

My son wasn't eating 3 meals of solids a day until well after a year old.
    Last edited by @llli*dee; October 23rd, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion