Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF & Pumping--how long after I BF do I pump?

Post BF & Pumping--how long after I BF do I pump?

My LO is 4 wo on Friday. I want to start pumping, so when I do leave the house my husband can feed the baby. When I was in the hospital-after I gave birth, the nurses told me to pump within a 1/2 hour of BF--my friend also gave me the same advise.

Well today was my first day pumping--I fed the baby and then pumped on each side for 15 minutes--with small results--barely a 1/2 ounce on each side. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that this is the correct way to pump? I do not go back to work until late December--but I would like to have a supply of milk that I can store in the event that I am out and hubby or granny needs to take over.

Thank you for your help!

Default Re: BF & Pumping--how long after I BF do I pump?

It sounds like you are doing fine! It's normal to get only a small amount when you first start pumping, especially if you are pumping after nursing. It will increase with time.

Your milk production is usually highest in the morning, so that is a good time to pump. Also, if your baby misses a feeding (because she sleeps through a usual feeding time or whatever) you can pump then, too, and probably get a larger amount.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Some info from kellymom...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    "When pumping to increase milk supply, to ensure that the pump removes an optimum amount of milk from the breast, keep pumping for 2-5 minutes after the last drops of milk. However, adding even a short pumping session (increasing frequency but perhaps not removing milk thoroughly) is helpful."

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

I found it helpful to pump in the a.m. (after babe's first feed of the day) and at night after babe went to bed.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I don't pump very much anymore, but when I do, I always try to pump as soon as possible right after nursing. That way there is still plenty of time (at least a couple of hours) for my milk to build back up before my LO wants to nurse again.

HTH
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.