Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One side nursing - anyone?

Default One side nursing - anyone?

My DD2 is now 20 months and nurses 2-3 times per day - morning, nap on weekends and before bed. She has in the past few days started refusing left breast - she only wants to nurse on the right. Anyone with experience only nursing one side at this age? Does supply keep up? I'm thinking of not even offering the left side anymore.

TIA.

ETA. I know there have been numerous threads on this, but I couldn't find one handy for this age of nursing toddler.

Default Re: One side nursing - anyone?

Any chance she has an earache on one side?

Other than that, around that age my daughter liked to demand one side or the other (it wasn't usually a particular side). I think it was just a matter of having a measure of control over nursing. If I tried to insist on the side she didn't want she'd get very upset.

I'm sure your supply would keep up, though there might me a size difference if it went on for a long time. Maybe not, though. I'd probably keep offering, since it's only been a few days. Maybe it's just a passing thing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She does have a cold, but I don't think it's an ear infection. She's preferred right side for awhile now - only recently starting to fully refuse left though KWIM? I'll keep offering for longer. Background info - my left used to be the bigger producer and right used when comfort nursing was in order. I think now that she is older and nurses less, she wants the comfort one. However, I don't think supply is overabundant in either anymore

If you want to keep offering the side left side, try using different positions.
    Both of my little ones would refuse a side if they had a cold, an earache or teething pain.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2a View Post
    Both of my little ones would refuse a side if they had a cold, an earache or teething pain.
    Really? wow - dd2 is 20 months, and believe me, we've had colds, earaches and teething pain and this is the first time she's done this! I didn't know.

My 12 mo. old LO recently went through a phase when she was refusing lefty too (my under-achieving boob.) Turns out, I have much more success getting her to nurse on little lefty () when I use a different nursing position. She doesn't really like the traditional cradle hold much, so we nurse like this: I sit in the glider/rocker, and she sits on my lap facing me, her legs straddling me (one leg on each side of me.) Then she just leans forward and slightly to the side (whichever side) and nurses that way. Basically, her upper body is kinda in a cradle hold, but her lower body is not. I hope I'm explaining this correctly... it's hard to describe this particular nursing position!

Anyway, my (rambling) point is that when she started refusing lefty, I changed up the nursing positions (even tried football hold a time or two, wow that was hard with a huge 1 year old!), and she eventually got over her preference (for now!)

HTH
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My LO is the same way. When I tried to switch him to the other side he would get mad and scoot his way back. I finally started saying "other side please" and after a little while he now knows what that means. Now he even says "other side" when he wants to switch sides. I don't know why that helped, but maybe it was just the interaction or it seeming like a game? Good luck and great job for nursing so long!
    Molly, mom to Preston Feb. 17, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molsquad View Post
    My LO is the same way. When I tried to switch him to the other side he would get mad and scoot his way back. I finally started saying "other side please" and after a little while he now knows what that means. Now he even says "other side" when he wants to switch sides. I don't know why that helped, but maybe it was just the interaction or it seeming like a game? Good luck and great job for nursing so long!
    Wow - I see your LO is the same age as mine (DD2 was born 2/23/07). I've been doing similar - but I like the consistency of same phrase every time. I will try that - thanks!!

My ODD was over a year when she started preferring one side (right over the left). I often found myself offering her the unwanted side at night (we co-slept). Eventually I gave up. There was some size difference but only noticeable when I was undressed.

The twins both started off preferring the left which surprised me. Now they are happy with whatever side they get. Since we tandem they can't really be choosy or someone will go w/o for a bit!
    Becca - mom to
    Alexa 12.4.03
    Jacob 7.8.07
    Elizabeth 7.8.07