Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second letdown?

Default Second letdown?

Hi Mamas!

I have been pumping at work for three weeks now. Everything seems to be going well - I produce enough milk or even slightly more than needed which I've been banking.

I achieve initial letdown fairly quickly and pump until each breast is as empty as possible. I will apply a gentle pressure to each breast to facilitate this.

At the end of my pumping session, I'll often experience a tingling in my nipples and then milk will spray out like crazy. It almost hurts because it seems every duct is active at once. It only lasts about a minute.

What is this exactly? Should I stop pumping before this happens?
    Mommy to Jackson - 7/25/08

Default Re: Second letdown?

Nope, it's normal to have more than one let down when your baby is nursing. Count yourself lucky you are getting a second letdown while pumping with no extra effort! I wouldn't stop before it happens because the second let down not only gets you more milk, but it allows you to get the fatty hindmilk that comes later in a nursing session.

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep it up.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Nope, it's normal to have more than one let down when your baby is nursing. Count yourself lucky you are getting a second letdown while pumping with no extra effort! I wouldn't stop before it happens because the second let down not only gets you more milk, but it allows you to get the fatty hindmilk that comes later in a nursing session.

Looks like you are off to a great start!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post

from kellymom..
    "Once the let-down (or Milk Ejection Reflex/MER) is triggered (by baby's nursing, pumping, etc.), the milk is squeezed down the ducts until it becomes accessible to the baby. Milk production is not faster during letdown - the flow is simply faster. There are several let-downs per feed, although most mothers only sense the first one."
    more here..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------