Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Surgery, Storage, Pump & Dump

Default Surgery, Storage, Pump & Dump

I am to have a surgery to repair an issue reguarding my DD's birth (just one week ago!) I will have to go under anesthesia. I know that I will have to pump and dump after the surgery until the anesthesia is metabolized, but I don't know how long. I also don't know how long it will take to bank the BM needed for her in this time period. BF is going really well so I am nervous about her having to use a bottle at all! I don't want her to have nipple confusion! Has anyone else had to deal with surgery early on after birth? How did you deal with it? I've done pretty well keeping it all together, but the pain I have combined with the postpartum moodswings are conspiring to give me some pretty hefty anxiety. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Surgery, Storage, Pump & Dump

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

I had surgery over the summer - altough my "babe" was 24 months old... so different situation than you are in.

However, I bf after surgery once I was home (it was outpatient) w/o issue.

The link above has lots of helpful info. I had also printed out the info. on meds. and bf. both the anesthetic and pain meds. from the same site and talked with the doctor ahead of time and then anesthesiologist day of the surgery (bring the print outs with you for pre-surgery) about what they were going to give me. I told them I wanted all L2s or better. I ended up having to have one L3 because they did not have any other option there. I still nursed when I got home and didn't worry about it too much.

You'll need to have milk for while you are in surgery itself. You could try to pump some in the mornings after nursing. Also, pump right before you are getting ready to go for the surgery itself.

Sorry you have to go through this but no doubt you will be able to do it with flying colors. Do your research, talk with your dr. and anesthesiologist, and in the end pick what you think will be best for your situation.

Default Re: Surgery, Storage, Pump & Dump

Thanks for that link! I'm feeling better and better about being able to do this w/out exposing my LO to all that weirdness.