Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need some help here...

Exclamation I need some help here...

I'm not sure if this really fits under the relactation section, but I'll let you ladies be the judge.

I have been breastfeeding for about 5-6 months and was struggling with a low milk supply for months and tired nearly everything available to bring it back up. After months of trying with no luck I made the decision to quit breastfeeding and switched to formula. I did that for a week but the engorgement was so bad that I couldn't stand it, so I started nursing again. I started off early drinking the lactation tea and taking More Milk Plus 4 times a day and pumping. I'm 2 days into my renewed nursing and I am getting absolutely nothing.

My daughter now refuses to nurse at all because there is no milk coming out, so I've been giving her bottles of formula and pumping every two hours. My nipples hurt bad from the pumping and I pump about 15-20 minutes on a double pump but absolutely nothing is coming out. Everytime I try to nurse my daughter she resists to the point that all I have to do is put her on the nursing pillow and she cries. I am at wits end here. I do not want to give this up again, but i don't know what to do. Can somebody please, please help me? I really want to make this work!

Default Re: I need some help here...

I am so sorry this has been hard mama.

Since your nipples are sore I am wondering if you need a different sized shield on your pump. That may help with comfort. Have you thought about using an SNS (supplemental nursing system)? This would allow you to supplement your LO at the breast. She would get the gratification of food right away allowing a positive association with the breast. Her nursing would give you more stimulation to increase your supply. The herbs and pumping should help as well. I am not sure how long it will take, but hopefully you will see improvement soon. You are not alone and you came to the right place for help.
    2001 2004 2008

I spoke with my dr. yesterday and what she thinks happened is my milk was just starting to dry up, so nursing her that first time just drained what was left and that was it. I'm taking the herbals and she gave me a script for Reglan to take for a month. She is unsure if my milk will ever come back, but says it's worth a try. Hopefully something works! Maybe it'll come back better than it was before, we'll just have to wait and see.

I think that Reglan works for many moms. I wish you much success! Read through this forum for inspiration. It is keeping me going. There are amazing mamas out there who have relactated after long breaks and another mama inducing lactation for twins and many more. You can do it and if anyone can help, it is the ladies on this forum who inspire me and give me strength to keep going everyday!
    2001 2004 2008

I think my milk may be slowly starting to come back in. It doesn't hurt so badly to pump now and I did get a few drops of milk to come out this time, so maybe we're actually getting somewhere here. We can only hope, huh?