Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new Mom... pumping questions

Default new Mom... pumping questions

I'm a first time Mom and I am hoping to build a supply of breastmilk for occasional use. I have a Medela handpump. I'm wondering when is the best time to try to pump, so my baby doesn't end up cranky and hungry because his usual "dose" of breastmilk is unavailable.
    Approximately how long does the supply take to replenish between feedings?

Default Re: new Mom... pumping questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*broncojunkie View Post
    I'm a first time Mom and I am hoping to build a supply of breastmilk for occasional use. I have a Medela handpump. I'm wondering when is the best time to try to pump, so my baby doesn't end up cranky and hungry because his usual "dose" of breastmilk is unavailable.
    Approximately how long does the supply take to replenish between feedings?
    Well you will never be totally out of BM. Many women (not me) say that they have the most milk during the morning as hormones are highest then. I would say to pump a little after most feedings and you will build your freezer stash oz by oz. It takes a while but is possible! Otherwise if you need to do it at once, is there a time that baby sleeps for 4 plus hours? If so then you could do it mid sleep.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: new Mom... pumping questions

I like to get my extra first thing in the morning; I think a lot of moms have the most milk then.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png