Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doctor says we should give it up

Default Doctor says we should give it up

I have been struggling to BF my daughter since I went back to work when she was 2 months old. I know everyone says supply can be brought back up, but it just isn't happening. I pump every 2.5-3 hours at work, and then nurse her at home every 3 hours. When she's done with me she usually has a 2-4 oz bottle of formula too. She takes formula when I'm at work, since I never pump more that 4 oz at work. All day. From both sides. I'm taking nine 610 mg capsules a day of fenugreek, I am eating oatmeal every day, and then force feeding myself (I have no appetite since I had the baby) the rest of the day. I am so stressed out about all of it, and other things that I can't sleep at night, and now she wakes up at night for feedings too, so the little sleep I was getting is even less now. I have 2 other kids and I'm a single mom, so sometimes if she's sleeping, I wind up missing a feeding and forget to pump then I freak out when we go for 6 or 7 hours between. I don't know what to do anymore. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Also, I just started using a new, much better pump yesterday. Anyone have any idea how long it might take to tell if it's helping?
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Default Re: Doctor says we should give it up

Oh mama...I remember your post from before about all of this.

As for the pump, it should probably take a couple days I would imagine.

I don't know what to tell you as far as the supply. I know that stress is one big inhibitor but it sounds like you have so much on your plate that I can imagine it is hard NOT to stress! As much as you can, try to take a couple deep breaths.

Are you taking any other herbals? Fennel? Alfalfa? Goat's Rue?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Realistically I know you must know stress is your biggest enemy right now -

Having said that I have a couple questions?

Have you been in touch with a LLL leader?
    how do you know your supply is low? (other than pump output)
    How much does baby nurse when you're home?
    How much formula does baby get?

have you seen this pumping resource?

how old is baby?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Realistically I know you must know stress is your biggest enemy right now -

Having said that I have a couple questions?

Have you been in touch with a LLL leader?
    how do you know your supply is low? (other than pump output)
    How much does baby nurse when you're home?
    How much formula does baby get?

have you seen this pumping resource?

how old is baby?
    I've tried several times to contact a leader but the three in my area are apparently never available. I got no answers at 2 of them each time, and whenever I left a message I never heard back. Other than pumping output, I know it's low because my daughter is never satisfied when she's done. She has needed a bottle of formula after every feeding for the last couple weeks. She's eating at home about every 3 hours, for 5-7 minutes on each side. After that she has a 2-4 oz bottle of forumla also. Then she has 1 4oz bottle of BM during the day at home with dad, and after that it's usually one or 2 6oz bottles of it. She's 18 weeks old now. We were at the doctor yesterday, and she basically said everything I wrote is what's wrong-too much stress, not enough sleep, not eating enough. I don't know how to de-stress though-I'm a single mom with 3 kids, no help and a really low income. Stress is like my middle name. We were doing okay until about 2 weeks ago. I was pumping between 8 and 12 oz a day at work. Now I'm lucky to get 4. I know I shouldn't base anything on pump output, but that's a pretty drastic drop. Sorry to go on and on, I figure the more info I can give the more suggestions people might have.
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

I know that feeling of sinking when you can't pump enough for LO. You're doing all the right things I imagine as well that stress plays a part in it. Just please remember that you're going the best you can, LO is getting great mommy's milk even if you have to suppliment, we all support you and your efforts! Keep doing what you're doing and try to not feel that it has to be all or nothing at this point, I think in your case that's counterproductive.

I hope the new pump helps! keep it up mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I know that feeling of sinking when you can't pump enough for LO. You're doing all the right things I imagine as well that stress plays a part in it. Just please remember that you're going the best you can, LO is getting great mommy's milk even if you have to suppliment, we all support you and your efforts! Keep doing what you're doing and try to not feel that it has to be all or nothing at this point, I think in your case that's counterproductive.

I hope the new pump helps! keep it up mama!
    Also wanted to add here... I notice a significant drop in my pump output depending on where I'm at in my menstrual cycle. Just before AF is getting ready to visit, and usually during the first few days, the amount I can pump really drops. Just wanted to throw this out there just in case AF could be playing a factor for you.

Hugs mama... you're doing the best you can! I can totally relate to you, as I have struggled being able to pump enough since I came back to work when my LO was 14 weeks old. We have had to supplement some with formula, but I always remind myself that we're doing the best we can, and that's all we can do. Give yourself a break, mama, and try not to worry so much!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.