Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should I be pumping?

Default How often should I be pumping?

My LO is now 7 months old. I am a teacher so I am back to work now and trying to pump. Some days are better than others. I usually feed him in the morning and pump the other side before going to work. Then around 11:00am I pump one side for approx. 15 minutes. I then pump the opposite side around 2pm. Once home I will BF around 5pm and so on for the evening. Would I get more milk if I pumped both sides at the 11:00 and both sides again at the 2pm session? Its just that some days I am struggling to have enough milk for the next day at daycare. HELP! Not sure if what I am doing is good or not...and if it would be easier to double pump twice during the day....

Default Re: How often should I be pumping?

I always double pump. I pump 3x while I am at work to keep up supply. Usually 2.5 to 3 hour intervals. HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

what is HTH? New to this whole forum thing!!

Will it take me a while to build up supply being that I typically have so much time in between pumping? for example...will I only get minimal amounts in the beginning?

hth = hope that helps

If you can pump both sides at the same time that will really help with output. If not, I'd try to pump both sides during each pumping session, even if it means taking a bit more time. It will take a little time to build back up supply and get each side used to producing milk at that time. I'm not sure how long- maybe a week or so?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Noliesmama- I noticed that you lo is about 11 months and you said you are still pumping 3x per day.

My lo is going to be a year old on Friday and I am still pumping 3x a day. I am hesitant to drop to 2x a day since he is still nursing 6 to 8 times a day. What is your plan?
    Army widow . Single mom by choice, babies by IUI . DD 1/13/2004 BF 10 months, DS 10/24/2007 still BF with no end in sight

Hi all,
    Double pumping really helps for me. I do it 2 times a day, but increase to 3 times when my daughter needs more milk. Sometime I pump and nurse at the same time. It really helps in increasing my supply.