Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: self feeding

Default self feeding

i have read the article out of holland on self feeding, it makes sense
    now, what kind of fruit/veg would do
    banana, yam, anything ripe?
    we'vedone it with watermelon, melon, pear, peach, boiled apple.
    i get so nervous about her choking

would it make sense to give her mush to self feed?

she is almost 7.5 mos and very determined to do everything by herself

i need some guidance on this anyway to ensure my nerves dont get the best of me......she does spit out chunks she takes off, twice iv had to use my finger to remove a chunk....she may have spit it out, i just reacted

Default Re: self feeding

Some other foods to consider that your little one can self feed are winter squash, banana (slice it thin and long so they can grasp it in their fist), yams or sweet potatoes, tofu, nectarines, apricots, plums and I've heard some moms do well cooked beans (but for allergies sake, I would hold off on beans until one year old). If you're nervous about giving fist size pieces that she can hold and bite off, then you can put small chunks of foods into a bowl and let them play with it with their fingers, picking up pieces to put in their mouths ... I used avocado chunks with breast milk and let her play with it, putting what she wanted in her mouth. Since she enjoys using one of her baby spoons as a teether already, I gave her the spoon to play with and smeared a bit of the avocado on it (see here). You can see by the time she got done playing with the avocado it had turned from small chunks into a smeared mess!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

i guess my real question is ............is it really safe to be giving her chuncks of anything that doesnt dissolve in the mouth at 7.5 months

she isnt a REAL chewer yet, certain fruits i feel safe giving her to not as a mash, others like banana, yam and avacado i dont.....because they dont dissolve

any other thoughts on this

well....I trust what the articles says and so far it's been right. DJ isn't "eating" the things we put in front him. He's sucking, and gumming them. And the thrusting he does with his toungue pushes everything back out eventually!!!

just make stuff small and she should do ok.. smaller then a quarter. and things that are round cut so they are not round anymore.
    My kids all had a realy good gag, and thats a good thing.
    don't force them to eat.
    You can also try cold cereal, just watch and get the kinds that don't have alot of sugar.