Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedtime???????

Question Bedtime???????

Hello,

I have a question about bedtime schedule...............Hopefully you guys can help me out. My little girl Destiny is going on 10 weeks old now. Here lately she has been getting sleepy at 6pm for the last week and falls asleep. I am trying to get her to bed at 8pm every night. When she falls asleep at 6pm I take her to bed sometimes at 6pm or sometimes I wait until 8pm. As soon as I get her in her crib she wakes up? So because she goes to sleep so early she wakes up at 5am every morning. She is still not sleeping good through the night? ( she has a few times slept for longer than 4 hours! Should I keep her up when she falls at 6pm? How can I get her to get use to her scheduled bedtime at 8pm? She is awake alot during the day now. When she gets up in the morning at 5am she is usually ready for her "morning nap" a few hours later??? I am so TIRED!!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

Thanks,

Ruby

Mother to DESTINY........6-05-06
    Wife to an incredible husband........John

Default Re: Bedtime???????

are you putting your dd down for naps during the day? she should nap at least 2-3 times during the day. if you're only putting her down for 2 naps, maybe you can add a 3rd nap later in the afternoon to keep her up later...maybe an hour nap from 4-5pm. babies typically get tired after being awake for 2-3 hours. so if she has this late afternoon nap, hopefully she'll be able to stay uptil 8pm when it's bedtime. my 12 week old dd naps 3 times during the day, and her bedtime is around 7pm. if you keep your dd up when she falls asleep at 6pm, you'll just have a grumpy, cranky baby on your hands because she'll want to sleep and you're trying to keep her up...so i wouldn't suggest trying to keep her awake when she really wants to sleep.

as for waking up when you put her in her crib...not sure why she does this, but my dd still likes to be swaddled when she sleeps at night...and it's helpful for me because when i put her down in her bassinet, her arms don't flail up (natural reflexes) and wake her up. but if your dd is just waking up because she feels you putting her down in her crib, you may just have to even more gently put her down and leave your hand on her chest for a minute or two so she still feels you near...then gently lift your hand off my chest. this also works for my dd.

you should also have a bedtime routine. my bedtime routine starts around 6:30pm. i close all the blinds so it's dark and she knows it nighttime - hence it's bedtime. i give her a bath, read her a book, and then nurse her to sleep. depending upon how tired and/or hungry she is, i put her in her bassinet around 7:15pm or later if she wants to nurse longer.

hth and good luck!

Thanks for the reply.............destiny usually sleeps 2-3 or sometimes 3-4 times a day??? The only thing is that I do not put her down for a nap at any scheduled time. I just let her sleep when she wants to??? Also we have a busy life and are always on the go so poor Destiny has to go with us. She sleeps the whole time we are out when she gets in the car she just passes out?? I now she likes the movement of the vehicle. Do you think if I have a scheduled napping time through the day she might do better on her bedtime schedule?

Thanks,

Ruby

Thanks for the reply.............destiny usually sleeps 2-3 or sometimes 3-4 times a day??? When she does fall asleep sometimes it is only for 15 minutes to maybe an hour? The only thing is that I do not put her down for a nap at any scheduled time. I just let her sleep when she wants to??? Also we have a busy life and are always on the go so poor Destiny has to go with us. She sleeps the whole time we are out when she gets in the car she just passes out?? I now she likes the movement of the vehicle. Do you think if I have a scheduled napping time through the day she might do better on her bedtime schedule?

Thanks,

Ruby

Schedules can be difficult for babies, so I just let dd set the schedule. She napped when she needed to nap and went to bed when she was ready. Like your dd, ours went to bed very early (6pm) and woke up very early (4:30-5). It was really tiring, but dh was very helpful--he would get up with her every other day so that I could rest. And she was always ready for her morning nap about 45 minutes after she woke up.

At about 6 months, her sleep pattern started to change. We were out doing things later in the evenings and just by the nature of that she started going to bed later and yesterday she even slept until 8:30. So there is hope. I would just make the best of the times Destiny is sleeping right now and know that it will be easier to change her schedule when she can interact with her surroundings a little better.

I hope that helps you to get through the tough times!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have found with my 7 week old DD that she thrives off of a schedule. When I am busy and on the go, therefore not getting her normal naps, she is cranky and also more apt to be fussy at nursing time. When at all possible, I stay home in order for her to nap in her own bed at the same times each day. Shey typically naps well during her morning nap and her afternoon nap. She also takes small 1 hour naps after the noon feeding and the evening feeding. I nurse her for bedtime beginning at 8:45pm and she is in her crib by 10pm and without a cry or whine goes right to sleep.

For me and my DD, consistency seems to be the key.
    Hope that helps!

like FerdieJen (Jenni) my now 13 week old is much happier on a schedule. when we are out and about and can't get home early enough to start our bedtime routine, she's fussy...and it's that much harder to give her a bath and nurse her to sleep.

some babies like schedules, some don't. you just have to figure out what's best for you and your dd.

I guess I should clarify!! I meant that I didn't set the schedule, dd did!!!! We definitely had to stick to her schedule--when she told me it was time for a nap, it was time. The same with bedtime. If we got off schedule we were in for it. Whatever you decide to do, I think consistency is the key.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi there Ruby- you got some great advice, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents for what it's worth...
    - I too as the PP said, go with what my LO (9.5 weeks) "tells me" in regard to bed/nap time - it averages throughout the day about 2 hours awake time: 1 hour nap time~ generally.
    Nighttime is from about 8pm-about 6 am... with 2-3 nursings through that time ..

Plus, with my little one, I can tell when he's getting sleepier and sleepier.. the eyes get a little more reddish, he starts to stare instead of interact/smile with us...stops sqirming around like a lil' worm... you know, stuff like that. He never really gets fussy unless we're out and about. He like another PP doesn't care so much for the "on-the-go-lifestyle"... at least not yet.

SO for your question - at least what works for us is if at all possible put her down when you notice she's tired - limit the stimulation around her, lights, TV and put her down before shes actually sleepy and not let her get cranky... also I always put my LO to nap/bed (in the bassinet still) while he's just still awake so he doesn't have to rely on me to fall asleep, though he does nurse to sleep still sometimes (like just now ) This helps a lot for us as I never do the cry-it-out stuff... we just never have and my kids (there are 3 total 11y,10y & 9wks. ) have never had issues with bedtime...

She is still not sleeping good through the night? ( she has a few times slept for longer than 4 hours!
    I would say 4 hour stretch is about the norm.

One question? can you sleep when she sleeps ???? this could help ya too!

HTH
    Eme
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for all the resposes. I have decided to not worry about the scheduling. I t has been working out so far that Destiny sleeps when she wants to and we try to get her to bed AROUND 8pm last night was 8:30. I will just let her make our schedule for now. Just being a new mom you get told SO MANY DIFFERENT things and you are torn and think that you have to follow STRICT rules (which I hate) As for taking naps when she does I am a very busy individual. We live in Costa Rica up in the mountains and it is a chore just to go to town!!! Certainly makes you appreciate the convience of living in luxury ( the states). So I know in time things will get easier. Thank you guys so much for thr advice.

A VERY BLESSED AND HAPPY MOMMY!!!
    WIFE TO AND INCREDIBLE MAN..........JOHN
    PROUD MOMMY TO DESTINY ANN 6-5-06