Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: menstruation and supply?

Default menstruation and supply?

HI. I posted this on the fertility forum too)

My dd is 12 1/2 months old and just this past week I had my first period in 22 months. (gosh, I didn't miss it) Well, my question is this...I have friends that complain every month that their supply goes drastically down when on their period. I am a littl concerned b/c #1, I have always had to work for every drop when I pump and #2, I start work part time this week and fulltime next week. I am concerned that I will be starting off with a struggle, since I really haven't been pumping for the last 9 weeks. Any suggestions? My period seems to be leaving, will supply return to normal? Should I drink some of the Mother's Milk Tea? I will post this on the working forum too. TIA

Megan

Default Re: menstruation and supply?

My supply drops too, so I have a baby attached to me the hole time I am having "Aunt Flo" visit, but since you cant do that, I am not sure what might help...I am sure the others will give some great advice.

But for supply after she leaves, at least for me, yes it goes right back to "normal" or so it seems!

Thanks Jenn. On the Fertility post, someone said the same thing about supply coming back. I will just keep my fingers crossed that things will be fine when I pump.

Megan

Topic of conversation of late. I know that the hormones involved are inversly related (one is up the other is down). I would say take the supplemetns/drink the tea. I would expect your period to be irregular though. I dont know for sure cause I havent had aunt flo's visit yet myself but I have heard similar things.

I just posted this link and info on another thread too ...

I don't have my period back yet, so can't comment from a personal experience, but found this link that has some great info ...

Menstruation and Breastfeeding

It states: "Once menstruation returns it may continue to be irregular during lactation. It's not uncommon to have a shorter or longer than normal period while breastfeeding. It's also not abnormal to skip a period or see the first period return and then find that months pass before the next one."

Take care!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

It's somewhat common to see a slight supply dip around the time of your period, but it should bounce back as your period tapers off. Just keep nursing/pumping. If you feel that your supply is going down and you want to do something about it, feed baby more often, or pump more often if you're not around baby. You can also try some of the basic supply boosters during this time, there are many around for you to choose from. herbs, teas, oatmeal, drinking water, breast compression.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!