Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increase needed on one side - please help!

Exclamation Increase needed on one side - please help!

I posted something earlier, but didn't get a response...I'm struggling with the supply in my left breast and am trying VERY hard to even it out. Any ideas? I can only feed lo from that side when she is drowsy or asleep - and even then, she doesn't remove as much milk as the other side. It is causing various issues, anyone go through this or have any ideas?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Increase needed on one side - please help!

I have the same issue, but it's always been that way with me. My left breast produces double what my right one does. When LO is on the right one he gets so antsy and squirmy. I pump and everything and nothing helps so I just feed from both sides every time I BF, and I start with a different side each time and just let him squirm He's still getting milk, it's just not as much. I'd love to hear any suggestions too if anyone has any.

Thanks for the encouragement that it's not just me. I only run into issues because i have to pump at work replacing a nursing session. I'm fine over the weekends when I can just bf my lo. I hope to get some answers from other mommas.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

I have always had more production from one side, I think it is relatively normal.

Sometimes when I pump it is as drastic as 2ox from the right and 1/2 oz from the left....but then later I will get more from the left again. I think it just varies.

You could try pumping for 5 minutes longer on the side that produces less, or someone suggested to me once to actually start pumping on the side that has MORE production for just a few minutes, and then the other side gets the signal that it is up to bat. Then pump both sides...let me know if that makes no sense!

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

No that makes perfect sense. I just started to panic a little when she was refusing to nurse from the side that made less - and I got a plugged duct on that side and couldn't get it out. Of course, now I'm engorged on the side that makes more.. It never ends! AHHHHHH!!!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

As for production issues with one side, I'm with you. My left side has the low production. I havn't had any plugged ducts or what not. It's just always been like that. I think I may be due for a plugged duct because I don't get enough water/whatever else I need in my diet. Need to start going healthy.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.