Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct lower supply? How can I get it back up?

Default plugged duct lower supply? How can I get it back up?

My supply changed suddenly after I got a plugged duct. I have always been fairly consistent in my pumping. I usually get about 2 oz from my left breast and between 3-4 oz from my right breast. My daughter is almost 11 months old. Earlier this week, I got a plugged duct in my right breast. Thankfully, my DD was able to suck it out in a couple of nursing sessions, so I didn't think much of it. However, after that, I can't seem to get even 2 oz out of my right breast whenever I pump!

I'm very concerned because it's been about a week and it doesn't look like it's getting much better. I had a very small stash in the fridge and we're going through it quickly because my baby drinks about 5-6 oz at a feeding and I'm pumping closer to 3 oz.

Can a plugged duct lead to lower supply? Is this going to get better if I just keep pumping and nursing? Or do I need to do something more active to get my supply back up? Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: plugged duct lower supply? How can I get it back up?

I'm struggling with the same issue. I had a plugged duct on one breast and my supply dropped in half on that side. I started taking supplements (fenugreek) and made sure that I ALWAYS started nursing on the lower supply side first. I also added a couple of nursing sessions at night while baby was sleeping to increase supply. This weekend I was able to pump more out of that breast, but I could still tell that it was lower than the other breast and that the baby preferred the other side. Good luck - I'll be interested to see what others have to say!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Hmmm.. I don't know if I have had or have a plugged duct but I know for a fact that I'm in a smiliar boat as you two. My right side produces WAY more than my left. I've yet to start on Fenugreek or anything like it, but am looking into it. I don't know what to say. Though I will try to 'read up on it.'

Try talking to a doctor or if possible an LC. Post what they say.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.

AHHGGH! I'm SOOO frustrated! I have talked to my doctor and LC - pumping extra, taking supplements, starting baby on that side, etc. are all things they've suggested and nothing is working... ANYONE HAVE IDEAS??? I'm going NUTs here!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

a bit of an update. After about a week of lower supply, it looked like my supply was coming back up. I pumped and got a little over 3 oz versus the less than 2 oz that I was getting before. I was really excited! I didn't do anything different, just continuing to nurse and pump like I had before.

Then I got sick. I have viral bronchitis, which is pretty similar to the flu. I have aches, fever, nausea, I'm feeling pretty lousy. Now I can't even get letdown when I pump. I can tell I'm full, but milk only trickles out. I'm lucky to get 1 oz from each side. This is super frustrating!

I think if I hadn't gotten sick, my supply would have slowly built back up.

Ok, so try this: Heat up some water and soak a cloth in it. You will use the cloth to press against your breasts while you pump. You have to try to make it as hot as you can without burning your breasts...It has worked for me when I pump. I have been getting a couple of oz. more than normal when I use a hot compress. This has been helping build up my supply. Let me know if this works for you. You can also try supplements such as Mother's Milk Tea (which is actually really yummy and might help with your cold) and fenugreek. Keep us updated!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months