Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We've night-weaned:)

Default We've night-weaned:)

Okay, now I'm just waiting for AF... any time now!!

Just in case anyone is interested, I wanted to let you know what I did b/c I kind of followed Jay Gordon's method but kind of made up my own. DD is 12.5MO and cosleeps and would usually just start wiggling or cry out and so I would always automatically nurse her lying down until we were both sound asleep again. She would do this a few times a night but I stopped taking count after she was about 6MO.

What I did: Night one I decided no matter what I would not nurse her until she'd gone at least four hours without it. She woke up crying after being asleep for only an hour but after rubbing her head and softly talking to her she went back to sleep after probably 3 minutes of crying. She woke up again an hour after that but hardly cried at all before going to sleep and she slept until almost exactly the four-hour mark so I sat up and nursed her (usually I lay down) and put her back down awake. She didn't like being awake, but again, did not cry long before she went back to sleep. She slept fine for the rest of the night.

Night two she went 6 hours before waking up again! Otherwise I was planning on making her wait 5 hours, then the next night 6 hours, etc. until she was sleeping through the night.

The only bad part was that the third night she was not crying but just constantly moving all night. She actually crawled off the bed since I think I started tuning her out Luckily we are only a foot off the floor so she didn't even cry and was not hurt at all.

Last night she slept soundly for 8 hours.

I hope no one feels like I'm bragging or anything as I know there are many tired mamas out there. I've mentioned in other threads that I'm wanting to TTC soon but still haven't gotten AF back. I'm hoping that by night-weaning I can continue nursing during the day and allow DD to wean gradually. I also know I've had it very easy. DD hardly put up a fight at all. I just wanted to share my night-weaning story.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: We've night-weaned:)

WOW that is so great, I think thats wonderful since your TTC. I hope you do get AF soon. That sounds funny hu! No really I hope it goes well for you

my dd is 10.5m and i think she is starting to night wean herself

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

thats awesome, sounds like maybe she was ready to night wean too! I think all it takes is a gentle push if they are ready.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Oh, how I wish my DD were ready! She nursed for 8 hours until DH returned from work and could take over last night. It's like this every night . Although my AF returned at 8 weeks postpartum...heck, I'll probably be night nursing 2 babies this time next year .

Thanks for sharing!

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

I think you did a awesome job!!! Thank you so much for sharing..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

thanks so much for sharing, i might try your ideas, Ds is only 10 mo but im sooo tired from not getting a full nights sleep in more then 10months, some nights he wakes up 1-2 times but other nights like last ngiht it was 3-4, im at a loss as to what to do, i know its prolly not recomened to try to night wean this young but im just flat out tired and miserable from no decent sleep. He generally doesent eat that long and will fall asleep when he is nursing, so i wonder if hes not just comfort nursing, we dont co sleep, its not something we are comfortable doing, so i get up get him bring him back to bed, nurse him, then put him back in his bed. sorry guess im just venting.
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.to2 View Post
    thanks so much for sharing, i might try your ideas, Ds is only 10 mo but im sooo tired from not getting a full nights sleep in more then 10months, some nights he wakes up 1-2 times but other nights like last ngiht it was 3-4, im at a loss as to what to do, i know its prolly not recomened to try to night wean this young but im just flat out tired and miserable from no decent sleep. He generally doesent eat that long and will fall asleep when he is nursing, so i wonder if hes not just comfort nursing, we dont co sleep, its not something we are comfortable doing, so i get up get him bring him back to bed, nurse him, then put him back in his bed. sorry guess im just venting.
    Here is the link to Jay Gordon's method. He recommends waiting until at least 12MO to do this. I think it's because right now your LO's main source of nutrition should still be breastmilk and it could effect your supply I totally understand how you feel though. It was right around 10 and 11 months that I started really hating the night wakings. It won't be forever

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

so I shouldn't be concerned that my 7 month old is still waking up anywhere from 3-5 times per night?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*johnsmom0326 View Post
    so I shouldn't be concerned that my 7 month old is still waking up anywhere from 3-5 times per night?
    Not at all, that sounds totally normal.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous