Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing cows milk

Default refusing cows milk

We introduced whole cow's milk 1 week ago. He drank it the first day but has refused it since. I nurse 3-4x per day and he has 1 BM bottle at DC which will be stopped shortly as I am pump weening.

Should I continue to have DCP offer cows milk, try soy?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: refusing cows milk

I know it took Clayton a few weeks to really drink his cow's milk. I just kept giving it to him, and eventually he drank more and more. I'd just keep at it, and see what happens.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    We introduced whole cow's milk 1 week ago. He drank it the first day but has refused it since. I nurse 3-4x per day and he has 1 BM bottle at DC which will be stopped shortly as I am pump weening.

Should I continue to have DCP offer cows milk, try soy?
    Oh my, mama... I think our LO's are long-lost twins!! My LO is now just over 12 months, and I am SOOO wanting to quit pumping while at work. But my LO won't have ANYTHING to do with cow's milk. Yes, we are still nursing in the evenings/mornings/weekends, but I am still worried that if she won't drink cow's milk from a sippy at school that she will be super hungry while she's there... she eats table food pretty well, but some days if she doesn't like what's being served she doesn't eat much, and those are the days I worry.

Our main issue is that she will be transitioning up to the next room at daycare soon, and there are NO bottles allowed in there, so she has to drink milk from a sippy, or else!! She will CHUG water from her sippy, but won't touch it if it has milk in it.

I am SOOO ready to kick the pump to the curb, but I am only hanging on until she gets used to cow's milk.

Well, although none of this seems to be working for us, here are some suggestions for getting your LO to drink cow's milk!

1--Offer your LO a mixture of BM and cow's milk, and slowly increase the amount of cow's milk in the cup.
    2--Warm the cup of milk like you would a bottle, and see if he likes it warm.
    3--Try a different sippy cup
    4--Try any combination of 1, 2, or 3 above!

Good luck, mama...

HTH
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

If you are still BFing while together at least 3x a day you don't have to push the cow's milk. That is still enough breastmilk. The wanting the baby to have milk while at daycare after a year point is a nice idea but not needed. Nor is cow's milk. The recommendation about cow's milk is based on the assumption that your child will be weaned by the year point. If it's not true, your milk does not need to be replaced. It took DJ over a year to warm up to cows milk and he started refusing bottles of breast milk shortly before he turned a year old. So when I started working full time at 14months, he just frank water all day while away from me and nursed when we were together. No harm no foul. He drinks some cow's milk now.....but not even every other day. We're down to 3x in a 24hour period...he still doesn't really NEED it. Don't worry too much about it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    If you are still BFing while together at least 3x a day you don't have to push the cow's milk. That is still enough breastmilk. The wanting the baby to have milk while at daycare after a year point is a nice idea but not needed. Nor is cow's milk. The recommendation about cow's milk is based on the assumption that your child will be weaned by the year point. If it's not true, your milk does not need to be replaced. It took DJ over a year to warm up to cows milk and he started refusing bottles of breast milk shortly before he turned a year old. So when I started working full time at 14months, he just frank water all day while away from me and nursed when we were together. No harm no foul. He drinks some cow's milk now.....but not even every other day. We're down to 3x in a 24hour period...he still doesn't really NEED it. Don't worry too much about it.
    Thanks for posting, that's so good to know! We are still nursing about 3-4x per day (morning, evening, whenever she wakes during the night, plus naps on the weekends.) I guess my (incorrect) assumption was that if she wasn't drinking bottles of BM (or drinking cow's milk) at daycare anymore that she would be hungry all day and would be missing out on that nutrition during the day??

I think part of the issue is really MY problem, in that both DH and I LOVE cow's milk, and have always been big milk drinkers, so for DD to not like cow's milk just seems foreign to me.

I think my strategy will be to continue offering cow's milk (but not pushing too hard). If she doesn't take to it, I will try not to worry about it and do like you did with DJ and just let her drink water instead, which she really does like.

Thanks!!!

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Don't 'try' not to worry about - just don't My son has never had a drop, and never will Many people live w/o dairy. This resource might offer you some additional information
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Nora never did take cows milk from me (still doesn't). I didn't worry about replacing my BM at day care because we were still nursing quite frequently when we were together and she ate a lot of calcium rich foods (cheese, yogurt, etc). I went ahead and stopped pumping at a year- before she really drank much cow's milk. They continued to offer CM at day care and eventually she started drinking it (I don't know when, since I only know she drinks it because I've seen pictures).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My nearly 4 year old still doesn't drink cow's milk unless it is disguised with chocolate or strawberry flavoring. Most of the time she drinks water or watered down juice. Which like you, it odd to me because I hate to start my day without a nice cold glass of milk. I woudl say feed him yogurt or cheese as a substitute, as long as he gets calcium and enough calories, it doesn't have to be milk.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Okay great thanks ladies!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language