Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to work and scared.

Default going back to work and scared.

i know i should just calm down, its just part time lol... but ive never left my LO for more than maybe an hour. He sometimes is very attached to me and DH cant calm him down.

so im going back to starbucks so i dont lose our really cheap health insurance.

please tell me that its gonna be okay! a part of me is actually kind of excited, its a fun job... i'll get a pretty significant paycut cuz i cant be a shift supervisor again.

anyway, as far as pumping goes, im gonna just try to do it in my car... how often do i need to pump while im at work? most likely i'll be working 6 hour shifts or maybe less.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: going back to work and scared.

Here is one of the many LLL fact sheets on pumping.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html

Try not to stress about it. You can do it.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

You'' be fine! Pump as often as DS would eat if you were together. For a 6 hour shift at that age I'd say 2x.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

How many minutes is your job from your house?

You'll do great mama and so will your LO. Just keep reminding yourself that going back to work IS doing what is best for him right now because let's face it, health insurance for you and for him is soooo important. And pumping will be fine. I used to do it 3x's a day. You get used to it as part of your daily routine. I agree with pp, you'll probably want to pump 2x's during that 6hr shift.

Good luck!!!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

ya i was thinking i'll just get DH to text me when DS is eating and i'll pump then...

the problem is, if i work a 6 hour shift i only get 2 10 min breaks, and 10 min is not enough time to pump!

my work will probably be about 15 min away, depending on where they put me, my store was one of the lucky ones to get closed down
    it would be easier if DH could just bring DS up to my work to nurse, but gas prices these days..
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    the problem is, if i work a 6 hour shift i only get 2 10 min breaks, and 10 min is not enough time to pump!
    10 minutes was enough time to pump for me. I used the medela PIS, got everything set up the night before and as soon as I got to my place to pump I got a move on. The I just threw the pumping stuff in a ziplock bag and in the fridge so I didn't have to wash it before the next use. That will save you a good amount of time. Then I would wash everything at night and get everything ready again for the next day. It can be done if it is your only option. Good luck!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Well pumping 2x for 8 minutes is not ideal but better than nothing! Just get all your supplies set up so you only have to wash your hands and pump as long as possible. The other alternative is to combine your break and pump mid-shift for 15-20 minutes and then right after your shift sit in your car and pump for 15 minutes before driving home (depending on the length of your drive)

Also, no need to be so literal as to the time LO is eating and texting, etc. it's okay to approximate.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

thanks ladies, i feel better.. and hopefully if i take 12 min, i wont get scalded or anything lol...