Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: iron supplement for 1yr old?

Default iron supplement for 1yr old?

at dd's one yr check, her iron was a bit low- 10 & pedi said should be at least 11 & rec'd polyvisol w/iron. I've read about high iron foods & thought about trying that first, but dd already eats beef, spinach, broccoli, & sweet potatoes which are high in iron, so not sure if food will boost enough. I might try molasses & oatmeal or cream of wheat & I also noticed prune juice listed but I currentlly don't give her juice. So, I guess I have 2 questions- 1)anyone have luck with foods boosting lo's iron level? & 2)for anyone who uses iron supplements- what kind do you use & do you give them the drops directly or put them in something? (worried about them staining her teeth) I read you can put them in juice, but not sure I want to start giving her juice just to take vits...
    (also posted on solids forum, but wasn't sure where it belonged, so I posted here too)
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Default Re: iron supplement for 1yr old?

We used Floravital for DS' anemia. I didn't want to give him juice either, but the ped suggested putting it in high vit c juice to help him absorb it. Someone on here sent me an awesome PM about raising iron levels with food. I'll see if I still have it & forward it to you. My son's was fairly low so I was freaked out & too impatient to do it with food!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Thanks so much! Does this brand come with dosage amounts for little ones? Did you water down the juice you mixed it with or just juice?
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

My doctor suggested a supplement at around 9 months and I did not want to use it because of the teeth staining issues. Not to mention it smelled & looked nASTY!

I got some awesome advice on here and took a 9.4 up to a 13 in about 2 1/2 months

Basically, you have to pair an iron containing food with vit c., like mentioned above. ie. For breakfast we might do Cheerios or Cream of Wheat with kiwi, which is exploding with vit. c. I fed my LO lOTS of quality red meat (black beans, lentis, or red beans contain good source of iron too!) for dinner paired with broccoli (excellent sourse of vit. c & calcium!), spinach, mango, & other iron & vit. c containing foods. I mixed it up to keep it interesting

Also, I was told that if I were to give her dairy, specifically yougurt to do it either 30 before or after her iron/vit. c meal. It blocks the absorption of the iron!

My doctor was so proud that I was able to do it in such a short amount of time & I was so happy to do it naturally. You can do it too My doctor told me that I could supplement if I was unable to get her to eat or for just one of her meals if it was easier for me. I just couldn't stand the thought of doing it. It wasn't for us.

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

I agree with pp.

You can also cook in a cast iron skillet.

Ds1 I did the supplement for a short time.
    He fought it everytime because it taste horrible.
    His front teeth are a little stained.

DS2's iron was extremely low. His pediatrician gave us a prescription iron drop. I did not use it and was able to bring his iron up to normal by making dietary changes for both him and myself.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We use poly vi sol since around 9 months because he tested for low iron. I just give the drops out of the bottle and don't mix w/ juice. Just make sure to drop it in the back of their tongues. It tastes bad but for some reason he got used to it quick and just opens up for it every morning. No bad experiences with it, he's 17 months now.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09