Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1St day w/out breastfeeding!

Default 1St day w/out breastfeeding!

Hey everyone!

Today was the 1st day that I went without breastfeeding Justice 1yr/2wks old. Not a moment to soon either as my husband and I are celebrating our fourth anniversary w/out our son. We are heading to at Atlanta where we will be staying at a hotel in Buckhead. Justice, our 1 yr old will be staying overnight with my mom. This will be the first time we leave him with anyone overnight.

My husband is worried about leaving Justice. I just hope he will focus on us for the next day. We haven't had any real alone time in about a yr.

Wish us a great day!

Thanks

Default Re: 1St day w/out breastfeeding!

Have fun!

OK, I gotta know.....How did you do it? Gradually or all at once? Expressed breastmilk or not?

I'm having huge problems trying to wean my son, as he won't take expressed breastmilk and definitely won't take formula (not that I want him to). He's not all that interested in solids, either, so I'm apprehensive about weaning.

However, at the same time, I really don't want to go for much longer. I'm glad I've done it this long, but I'm ready to be done soon.

ljgirlie... on one hand I hear you about ready to be done with breastfeeding, but on the other, I would breastfeed longer than a year... but I too have a trip planned with my husband in January... alone.. no kids... so I have begun to wean my son who'll be one in a few weeks. Originally I had planned on weaning him by the time he turned one, the time's here and I am finding it hard to do. I also had planned on the "cold turkey" method but that fell thru the first night. My son breastfeeds during the night (usually twice) and gets none of it during the day. We're going on day four... it's been a roller coaster of emotions and the both of us have been "moody". I did't expect to feel like this, and I assume Max isn't and has not been a happy camper either. It's going to be a rough ride the next week or so... but I am looking forward to not using nursing pads!
    I actually traded more snuggle and providing more comfort time during the times he would actually breastfeed. That on top of feeding him some solids and his "big boy sippy cup". It's not easy, but it has to be done... sometime.
    My husband kept asking, "when are you going to stop?" and I hear the comment, "he's going to breastfeed forever!" (I think he's jealous) But we have a trip to Brazil coming up... no kids... so the weaning has begun...
    It's nice to know that we're not alone... this site is very helpful.
    Good luck with yours.

I've been trying to cut down here and there, but haven't had much luck for any extended period of time. I successfully cut out the first morning feeding, and have days when he only wants to feed about 3-4 times during the day (nighttime is still always twice). However, he just caught a cold, and is cutting teeth, so it's been difficult.

I just found out two days ago that I have to have surgery on 10/3, so I'm shooting to having the weaning thing done by then.

I know that I could BF longer, but I honestly am getting to a point where I just am not interested any longer. I've enjoyed it so far, but now I'm starting to not like it at all. He's had teeth for several months, but has taken to biting me recently, and when he's not biting, his latch isn't comfortable. If it isn't that, then he's kicking me, hitting my face, yanking on my nipple, you name it. I'm just not enjoying this anymore.

So, I keep moving on, hoping that tomorrow he'll nurse less. I'll keep you posted!

Hooray! We are successfully cutting down on feedings! I've gone to twice during the day and twice at night. Last night, DS ate lots of table food--couldn't get enough of what I was having, including fruit, which was a first!! Tonight, I'll try to cut one of the night feedings. We'll see how that goes.