Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The unfortunate side-effects of babysitters

Default The unfortunate side-effects of babysitters

How does anyone manage to find affordable childcare? One grandmother lets him cry himself to sleep, the other gives him cow's milk. Then I'm the one stuck with a cranking four month old. I wish I could afford to not work, or pay a professional. Anyone else sailing in my boat?
    Jess,
    Proud mom to Soren Alexander P.
    Born May 25, 2008
    birth weight: 6 lbs. 12oz
    one week: 6 lbs. 13.5oz
    two weeks: 7lbs 5oz
    one month: 9lbs

Default Re: The unfortunate side-effects of babysitters

Oh sweetie I am with you there. My 3 kids are at home with my ex-husband during the day. Most moms would think that's great, but not with him. My youngest is not actually his daughter, but he watches her b/c our 5 year old freaked out when I told her the baby would be going somewhere else while I work. He tends to use the fact that he watches my daughter as ammo every time I say or do something he doesn't like. I just found out he spends literally all day sleeping until he has to get up and get ready for work. My 5 year old apparently is the one who gets up and get breakfast for herself and her 2 year old brother, keeps him entertained and out of trouble. She has now learned to change his diapers and make the 4 month old a bottle (ugh). I hate leaving my kids in that situation, but there's nothing else I can do at the moment. I have to have a job, since mine is the only income in my house. I am desperately trying to find a way to work from home, b/c I simply can not keep this up. I thank god for my best friend who lives in the apt. complex and goes over there every day to mae sure the kids are all alive and all right, and usually feeds them their lunch. It is ridiculous what parents have to pay out in order to have a job. I know several couples who decided to have a SAHP simply b/c it would cost more to send the kids to daycare than they would bring in! It's so sad. And people wonder why this country is going down the tubes? I was thrilled to find out I qualified for state assistance for daycare, but guess what? They only covered half the amount, and the only place where I live with an opening I would have still been paying $400 a month. Just for the baby! On an income of less than 1500 a month that ain't happening!
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

Have you tried looking for a local college student or two? My SIL found a girl that is going to school for Early Childhood and she is working out great! The college kids usually work for cheap too! Good luck mama!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

I know some people have found great care on Craigslist. I would also see if your area has a childcare council?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."