Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much milk to send to daycare?

Default how much milk to send to daycare?

Hello -
    How much milk should I send my 3mo to daycare with when she starts? I can't remember how it was with my son. I think we did 4oz bottles, but I can't remember how often he ate.
    Thanks!

Default Re: how much milk to send to daycare?

I think I sent 4 oz bottles. Now I try to send 5 oz bottles but I have read that they need about 3 or 4 oz if they eat 7 or 8 times a day. It depends on how often you feed the baby. But I usually just send whatever I pump in one pumping session as a bottle and sometimes extra pump if I don't think it is enough. But I have had several issues with the DC not realizing that they don't have to have as much BM as they would formula. Also I let her eat every 3 hours at daycare and every two hours when I get home even though she could go longer if I let her but I say feed her when she isn't crying and then she seldom ever cries when she's hungry. Can't remember the last time that happened.
    First time mom to Kaylee
    at work and all other times
    GOAL: 3 months... 6 months... 9 months ...12 months...

the rule of thumb is to have 1.5 ounces for every hour that you are not with her. So if your going to be away from her for 6 hours, I would send in 9 ounces. There's also another way to calculate which is explained here: kellymom - how much expressed milk
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

you might want to start with 2 oz bottles and then move up...
    That way there would be less waist if baby didn't finish a whole bottle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    you might want to start with 2 oz bottles and then move up...
    That way there would be less waist if baby didn't finish a whole bottle
    I did this because I was worried that they'd start a bottle and he wouldn't finish it and then the "liquid gold" would go down the drain.

It's been a learning process on both ends as to what will work best. I've also had to gently remind them that he is breastfed and likes to cluster feed so he won't just suddenly suck down 4 oz. and then patiently wait three hours until the next feeding. The formula-fed babies tend to follow this type of schedule, but mine doesn't. I feel like I've needed to advocate for him somewhat so they don't push more on him than he actually wants.
    Mommy to Jackson - 7/25/08