Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pediasure for 16 month old baby?

Default Pediasure for 16 month old baby?

My daycare provider recommended me to try Pediasure for my boy. My boy is smaller than average but he's very healthy. Anyway he eats really good but only certain food. He loves chicken, rice, broccoli, cauliflower, grilled cheese, grapes, banana, water melon, waffle, adult cereal, organic gogurt and other baby snack. I still nurse him about 4 times a day and he has 1% milk during the day at daycare. He can't have whole milk because it gives him diaper rash. Does he need supplement? Does anyone here every give your baby pediasure? Is it safe and necessary? Thanks

Default Re: Pediasure for 16 month old baby?

That sounds like a fairly balanced diet to me. You can always try to continue to offer other foods, but I don't know if pediasure is the best idea. The list of ingredients if pretty crazy, and the second thing on the list is sugar. Look at the ingredients on their website: http://pediasure.com/info.aspx. If you are concerned about him getting everything he needs, maybe you could ask your pediatrician about a multi-vitamin. It sounds like if he is still nursing and eating a fairly balanced diet you shouldn't worry too much though.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

how often is he nursing or getting mommas milk?
    As long as they are nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need suppliments.

Pediasure is just mostly cheep-o oils and corn syrup.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Have you tried soy milk or rice milk?

With ds1, I did occasionally use pediasure. When I used it he was not hungry for any other meals or food for pretty much the rest of the day. IMO it was better to have him eat meals with real food, than to fill up on a drink.

If your ds's growth is consistent then it doesn't matter if he is on the small side. He may be genetically programmed to be small and no amount of supplements will change that.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    Have you tried soy milk or rice milk?
    I heard that soy milk has something that mimic estrogen and it might not be good for a boy????