Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Some breastmilk is better than none, right?

Default Some breastmilk is better than none, right?

I can only get my son to latch once a day generally. He'll nurse anywhere from 10-45 minutes, but that is just once a day. What little milk he gets from that is better than all formula, right? I want to feel like I am benefitting him some at least.

I just got an electric pump (Evenflo Elan) because my manual pump didn't get anything, but the electric one isn't getting anything yet either. I can squeeze my breasts and get milk, it even sprays out sometimes.

I'm just worried I will dry up if I can't get him to nurse more frequently.

Default Re: Some breastmilk is better than none, right?

Have you opened the Evenflo yet? The reason I ask is because in all honesty, pumps made by companies who make formula or bottles are less likely to work. For relactation, you'll need to get a hospital grade medela or ameda. You can rent one from your local babies r us or your hospital.

If you haven't opened it yet, you can still return it. I had an Elan as well and the first time I tried to relactate it didn't work, because my pump couldn't get anything out... And I still had milk at the time since DS was only 6 weeks old.

But to answer your question, yes, some breastmilk is great! ANY breastmilk is great

Good luck and it'll come in due time!

You won't dry up if you pump regulary. My baby has refused to nurse since he was 3 weeks old, but I pump 8x a day and my output had steadily improved. Forgive me for the comparison, but dairy cows are milked by pumps and continue to produce for quite some time. We can too. Just keep pumping. And definately, some is better than none. Good luck!

Darleen, that's an interesting thought... Very true!

Thanks. My son is only 5 weeks old and I only stopped nursing for about a week when he was 5 days old, so I know that I do still have milk. I can't really afford to rent a hospital-grade pump and yes, I've already opened the Evenflo. I mean, it does get "some" out but it just bubbles up and doesn't really go down into the bottle.

Hm, if you hadn't opened it you could return it. I've learned from my IBCLC and several LLL ladies that pumps made by formula companies or companies that make bottle feeding accessories are designed to fail since they make more money of off mothers who formula feed and use bottles and such.

I hope it works for you. Are you involved with your local WIC program? Or possible an IBCLC can help you get your hands on a hospital grade pump for a reasonable rental price. For relactation, you really do need to have a good strong pump.

The more you can get him to latch, the better. Try latching him when he is sleepy or asleep. If you cosleep, let him comfort nurse whenever he wants to. Try warm baths together and if you don't already babywear, I would look into getting a sling. Lots of topless/braless babywearing (with baby in a dipe only) will help him find the breast. Since he's so young, it shouldn't be too hard.

Best of luck! I wish I had stuck with it when my DS was that young. It would've been easier then, lol.

Sending <<HUGS>> your way! You can do it mama!

how old is your baby?
    some moms find that hand expression works beter then any pump it just takes some practice to learn how to do.
    heres a link about getting baby back to the breast
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

you can always call your local lll leader for some help!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    how old is your baby?
    some moms find that hand expression works beter then any pump it just takes some practice to learn how to do.
    heres a link about getting baby back to the breast
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

you can always call your local lll leader for some help!
    yes i have to agree ! Hand expression is way easier for me then any pump. imcluding hospital grade. I think hand expression is a good thing for any mother to know how to use esp in emergency cases!

If you can learn how to do it that way it can really help build your supply up! my main problem was trying to get a let down which was very hard for me in the beginning.

so your son is 5 weeks now???

I started to relactate when my boy was about 7 weeks . he is now 14 weeks old . as of 4 days ago he has been BF again full time. It took 7 weeks of aggervation and lots of patience. but you can do it! i only BF for the first week he was born. I did it all without the pump so you can do it! also herbs did not help me! the most important thing is getting him to your breast. at first we used a nipple shield but now we are doing great!

what works for 1 person doesn't always work for another ! just find what works! it may be hard but you can do it!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Yes, he's 5 weeks now. He was exclusively breastfed for 5 days and then I stopped in a moment of panic because he wasn't wetting many diapers and hadn't pooped since we were released from the hospital. I was so worried that I was starving him!

If I get a nipple shield, will he latch on better? He'd feel that it was more like an artificial nipple? I'll definitely get one if that will help! I love nursing my son once he latches, but it is so frustrating and it takes 30+ minutes to actually get him to latch.

Thanks!

If you are considering using a nipple shield I would suggest getting in personal touch with a local LLLL or IBCLC. Also, this is a stretch, but some insurance companies will cover the cost of pump rentals. But, as the PP have stated, never underestimate the power of hand expression! Hang in there and good luck to you.