Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really Short Feedings

Question Really Short Feedings

Hi! I'm a first-time mom of a one-month old sweet baby boy...

I'm pretty certain I have OS & OALD... it's been really frustrating at times. To be honest, the excessive leaking has been the worst. It's been getting better, but it's still ridiculous. I can't wear a bra for more than a day... they get soaked within hours and that's with 2 nursing pads in each cup. I only have 3 nursing bras, so I have to be sure to wash them every day.

Anyway, my actual question is not about leaking... my DS has been feeding every 2-3 hours on average, sometimes 4. He has sometimes eaten for as little as 5 minutes at a time , and been satisfied for 2 or 3 hours. Is that normal? I think maybe the milk is just coming out so fast that he gets enough quickly?? I don't know if that's ok or not.

Additional info that may be relevant... he currently has a cold, and his dirty diapers are back to yellow (they were green for a bit which I was told was cuz of the cold).

Default Re: Really Short Feedings

I have had OS and OALD with both babies. If his dirty diapers are yellow...that's GREAT!!! He's at least on the way to emptying your breasts - very good! And I'm not an expert, but if he seems satisfied for 2-3 hours after eating, he's probably just really good at emptying your breasts. Some babies can finish eating very quickly. My 4 mo old went from 20 minute feedings to 5-10 minute feedings just recently. I'm sure you are doing a great job! Keep us updated!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I've been wondering about this, too...I also have OS/OALD, and sometimes my daughter will only eat for 5-10 minutes and then go for 3-4 hours at times without wanting anything else to eat. She also only really eats from one breast now the majority of the time. And sometimes when she eats for more than 10 minutes she'll spit up, which I assume is from overeating. I think the flow is so fast that she gets so much so quickly and doesn't have to spend as much time nursing.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Is there a place near you where they will weigh your baby on a very sensitive scale before and after you nurse? I went to the LC at the hosp where DS was born. At only two weeks old, DS was only nursing 3-5 mins every 1-2 hours and I was very concerned. Turned out he was taking 3oz in 3 mins! The LC said he was a very efficient feeder! My friend's baby would nurse for about 45 mins to get 3oz, so there's a wide range of normal.

How's baby's output?
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Just wanted to add that my baby went 4-4.5 hour stretches this weekend between feedings - and she is only 4 months old. I definitely think there is a wide range of normal and for those of us who struggle with oversupply - the baby can get a LOT in a short amount of time. Hope things are going ok for you....

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!