Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to increase supply

Default Trying to increase supply

My son is now 4wks and I have enough to BM to give him he was 7lbs 12oz at birth and is now 9lbs 5oz but pumping in preperation to return to work is horrible. I only get between 2 1/2 to 4oz all day and that is after about 4x's pumping. I do find it hard to pump frequently as I also have a 3yr old who is home during the day with us. I just started the fenugreek tincture I will take it 1ml 4x/day I am not sure I want to get the goats rue as my breasts have went from a C to an E already but I really need to do something to get more when I pump. I am currently using the Medela Advanced double and pump 10minutes after my son nurses, he usually nurses for 45minutes total (he falls asleep a lot). Any suggestions I am concerned I am not going to be able to have enough BM when I return to work.
    Thanks everyone for your help I really love BF and want to do everything I can to keep with it this time.

Default Re: Trying to increase supply

You really need to rent or buy (ebay, etc) a hospital grade pump such as the Madela Lactinia, Madela Classic, or Madela Symphony. The pump you mentioned just doesn't cut it for getting the supply up. Also, try and do some power pumping prior to starting work again. I know it is tough with a newborn. Aim to pump at least every three hours with a pumping at night. If you can do this for about 1-2 wks, this should help to get your supply up. I hope that all goes well for you!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

As far as herbs go, many women have success using blessed thistle in conjunction with fenugreek. I use a blend from motherlove.com. Their More Milk Plus seems to work for a lot of women and does not contain goat's rue.

with pp about the hospital grade pump for increasing supply. Other pumps can work well for maintaining supply, but not for building it. Good luck!
    2001 2004 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umbribyz View Post
    with pp about the hospital grade pump for increasing supply. Other pumps can work well for maintaining supply, but not for building it. Good luck!

Oatmeal is also a good natural galactagogue, as well as alfalfa. Fennel can help assist with letdown with the pump.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Sometimes my little one wants to eat earlier than usual, how long after I empty from either pumping or feeding does it usually take to produce more milk to feed again? And about the more milk plus I noticed some of them suggest not drinking for 20 min pre and post, impossible for me especially if I get the liquid as it is probably horrible tasting like the fenugreek, would you suggest pills or liquid. I think I will go rent the hospital grade atleast for a couple weeks. Thanks for any and all advice I am desperate.

Your breasts are never really empty, they are constantly making milk. The quicker and more completely you "empty" them the faster rate at which the milk gets replaced.

A good friend mixed the More Milk Plus with a small amount of sparkling grape juice to mask the taste. I use the More Milk Special Blend and use 100% grape juice (couldn't find sparkling) and it works fine. You can take it with 1-2 oz. of liquid, but nothing else for 20 min. before or after. The alcohol free blends are supposed to not taste as bad.

You are doing great! Try not to panic as stress can affect supply. I know, easier said than done!
    2001 2004 2008

Can you tell me more about Fennel helping with let down? When should I take it and how often.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the advise, I feel like I have noticed some increases I started the more milk plus and rented the hospital grade pump and have been pumping after each feeding and I have noticed some more milk which is a relief because I really want this to work. Now I am wondering if I should sell my just bought but used for a couple weeks Medela pump and just keep renting the hospital pump. Do you think if my milk supply increases to a point of absolute comfort it will stay that way or will I need to keep doing what I am doing to sustain that increase in supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luvmybabies View Post
    Can you tell me more about Fennel helping with let down? When should I take it and how often.

Thanks.
    I buy the capsules and I take one 3x a day. If you take too much it can actually hurt supply. Everything I have read was always about seeds or tinctures (which I couldn't readily find) but that has worked well for me.

HTH!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Oh thanks for the info I am going to try 3x/day, that is easier anyway.