Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Herbs: How much, how often?

Default Herbs: How much, how often?

I purchased fenugreek, hops, barley grass, and blessed thistle, in addition to alfalfa tablets. All say take two once a day, and the alfalfa is three once a day. I was wondering what the optimal dose of all of them are, and when or how often I should take them. Should I take them x time before I pump or nurse, or how many times a day ... or...? Thanks for your input!
    Kim

Default Re: Herbs: How much, how often?

I don't know much about any thing other than the fenugreek and blessed thistle but I can start you off with that.

This is how I was told to take fenugreek and blessed thistle:
    2 tablets of each 4 times a day for 2 days THEN UP IT TO
    3 tablets of each 4 times a day for 2 days THEN UP IT TO
    4 tablets each 4 times a day.
    Then you'll back down once you've acheieved the supply you're looking for.

Hope that helps some!

Default Re: Herbs: How much, how often?

i only have information for fenugreek...the following link contains good information for how much fenugreek to take:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

i am currently taking 9 capsules a day of fenugreek:
    3 in the morning with breakfast (oatmeal, which helps out with milk supply, too) - this is about 45 minutes before my first pump session
    3 with lunch - this is about 45 minutes before my second pump session
    i drink mother's milk tea about 45 minutes before my third pump session
    then another 3 capusule of fenugreek with dinner.
    i've been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so (since i've been back to work) and it works for me. good luck!

Question Re: Herbs: How much, how often?

My baby now is 3 months and suddenly refused to drink any fomular, before he was mix fed and now he only drinks my milk. and everyday till the evening time, he cannot get too much milk and makes him so upset!
    it seems mother's milk tea works well, but how long i have to take it to keep the milk supply? and i am worrying about any side effect since whatever I eat or drink will go to my baby. anyone who knows more info? urgent need your help!!