Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fighting sleep and nursing

Default Fighting sleep and nursing

My DS will be a year old at the end of this month and I can't believe I've made it this far breastfeeding. He has never been a great sleeper but when he is overtired and cranky he will fight sleep a lot. During some of these episodes I feel like I have to forcefully feed him to calm him down. It's usually a struggle for a couple of minutes and then he settles, nurses and falls asleep at the breast. It almost seems like he has to struggle and fight to let out that last bit of energy. I feel horrible when I have to wrestle and fight with him to feed. If I don't do this, and set him down or just hold him on my lap, he goes even more bonkers, so this is my method through trial and error. I just want some reassurance that others go through this as well.

Default Re: Fighting sleep and nursing

Sometimes I have to hold DD a little, um, snug, to get her to settle, too. She often fights sleep. She also doesn't sleep without nursing...we're working on this .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth View Post
    Sometimes I have to hold DD a little, um, snug, to get her to settle, too. She often fights sleep. .
    what she said. I feel so awful doing it - but he stresses himself out so much more if I don't. It doesn't help that he is moaning and whinging himself to sleep even when he is calmer
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks, that makes me feel better that I'm not the only one.

i always nurse my son to sleep (i rock/nurse at the same time) but i have had to hold him pretty "snug" as the pp said only a few times - and those times he was OVERLY tired -- like, we were visiting relatives...came home late...or just put him to bed late. those nights he is just overly tired...it's only happened a few times, but i think that is why he acted up. otherwise he falls asleep pretty fast w/ nursing/rocking.

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

wow, I was just getting ready to post a similar question!

DD still needs to nurse to fall asleep - even when she wakes up during a nap or at night, I know that I can nurse her and she will fall back asleep. I wonder if I am setting up a habit that will be hard to break. Actually, I know it is a habit already!

How do you get the little ones to sleep who are attached to nursing - whether they know it or not?

mama in love
    7-29-07

3 out of 5 of my kids have gone through a stage of that, the youngest is still in it. So none of you are alone.
    SAHM mom to 5 daughters-16,15,13,3,10 months Happy Wife to stressed out, overworked husband

Be reassured that you are not alone! I have gone through this with my lo, who is now 13 months old. I have come to find that she has been very hard to console, even when on the breast, if she is overtired. I know at times it felt like I was fighting her to nurse simply because I knew that was the ultimate comfort for her. Because of this struggle I have worked at getting her to bed a little bit sooner before she is cranky. This has meant starting her bedtime routine about 30 minutes early. Of course, sometimes this is not possible. In effort to work her off the breast to help her fall asleep (I still nurse her before bedtime but not where she doses off like she has in the past), I have replaced naptime nursings with rocking her in her bedroom, lights out, and rubbing her back. She has grown to rest her head on my chest and this has helped her. I then lay her in her bed before falling asleep. Most of the time she is content and babbles herself off to sleep, but it wasn't always like this and she doesn't always do this now (like when she's overtired or sick). Overall though, teaching her to fall asleep on her own has helped decrease some of that struggle. I hope this is helpful!

DS is 11 months. I've been through this too, I do have to sort of force him to nurse before bed because more often than not once he eventually latches on he will calm down. I wish I could say to him, "you know you want to nurse and that once you start you will calm down and fall asleep, so why are you fighting it?" If he won't latch on after several good tries, at that point I assume he really doesn't want it and then I rock him to sleep.

we have this at our house too, sometimes. like pp said, it's usually when he's overtired. or even, i think, when we go from playing really actively to trying to nurse/nap. he needs that relaxation time in between, or even sometimes i just end up having to hold him really snugly for a few mins while he cries a little until he calms down enough to really nurse. then he's out like a light!

hth!