Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: g-tube, bfing and bottle issues

Default g-tube, bfing and bottle issues

thank you to all who have posted before. i don't feel so alone. i have a 34 weeker who is now 4 weeks old. he was 6 lbs 1 oz. three days ago, but has now dropped to 5 lbs 15 oz.

Joey has a g-tube in his tummy for direct feeds and has an imperferated anus with a colostomy bag. I can track wet diapers, but not poopy ones.

I'm trying desparately to get away from the g-tube feeding because it produces horrible reflux for him. We spend an hour and a half helping him get through the feeding without throwing up. And since feeding time takes so long, and since we have to feed every 3 hours, he is never seems hungry enough for the breast.

I've tried for three days to stay off the g-tube and do only breast and bottle. When he decides to BF he does great. has great sucking and swallowing. At a good session, he'll nurse for about 15 min. We may have one or two good sessions a day. Most of the time, he is so sleepy I cant' get him to wake up, even using all the tactics described here. since he won't wake up to nurse, I go to a bottle, but he sleeps through a bottle too!

He's dehydrated now and I feel forced to use the g-tube which means he's not hungry for the breast again. Should I wait four hours insted of 3 to try and get him back on track with BF?

How can I get him to wake up enough to even take a bottle??? If he would take a bottle, he wouldn't get so dehydrated. And, the feeding sessions would go so much faster and better that I think he'd be hungrier the next time to try nursing.

Any suggestions? I would especially appreciate hearing from moms with experience using the g-tube.

Thank you!!

Default Re: g-tube, bfing and bottle issues

sorry your having such a hard time.
    Have you looked up your local leader
    She could help beter over the phone then we can on-line.

lots of babies that are born early don't nurse well untill after thier due date.
    IT sound like your doing ok, if you can get him to nurse at the breast some.
    How is pumping going?

What are you doing to try and wake him up to nurse? You don't have to necessarily wake him all the way up, just enough to latch on and get him sucking and swallowing. If he can sleep while drinking a bottle he should be able to do the same thing when nursing.

Newborns are so sleepy!! I would try undressing him a bit and when he latches on you can rub his cheek, tickle his toes, etc. a bit to stimulate the sucking pattern. Also, try lifting up one of his arms... it's like a little lever lol and they get back to nursing most times. You can try nursing while walking around with him as well.

I have no G-tube experience, it sounds like a lot of work though!!! I would try and offer the breast first before any tube feedings. Good luck, please keep posted on his progress. I will have you in my thoughts with this momma.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Our LO had the ng tube in the hosp. What I did was about 10 mins before his scheduled feed, I would put him to the breast (or TRY to put him to the breast) and let him get that experience. Then after the 10 mins he would feed through the tube.

If he is only 38 weeks (adjusted) right now, he probably still hasn't gotten the knack of latching and feeding yet. It took our LO until about a week or so after his due date to finally get it. That can be very very common in preemies.

Don't worry about him getting the BF down mama. Just try as much as you can to expose him to it, but feed him as you need to right now so he can get stronger. That's another big part of him being able to get it down.

He WILL get there, he's just figuring things out. Good luck mama...You're doing a great job!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you for all your help! We went to the Dr. today for a weight check. He's gained back the two ounces or so he lost. The Dr. told us he probaby needs more calories. He told me to add formula to my breast milk to increase calories and gave us a goal of 400 ml per day. If by the end of the day joey hasn't made the 400 ml, that's when we tube feed him.

My mother's instinct told me what the last post said. I think I'm going to work on getting him stronger and healthier before I become agressive with bf. we'll still practice, but I won't push it or stress out about it so much for a little bit.

Also, pumping isn't going so well. my supply is really low. I'm getting a perscription from my dr. to help. And I'm trying to get more rest.

I just noticed yesterday that Joey likes to suck with his tongue on the roof of his mouth which means I think he's just sucking his tongue instead of the nipple (bottle or breast). I'm working hard to make sure the bottle nipple is resting on top of his tongue. That's when I see him taking in fluid. Otherwise we sit there for five minutes of sucking and he's not getting anything.

Occupational Therapy gave me some tricks to help him learn to suck such as putting my finger on his tongue and holding it down, or putting my pinky to the roof of his mouth. I'll have to work more on this.

Thank you again for helping me! It's nice to have a place to vent and feel supported!! Take care!

can you tell us more about your pump?
    and how and when your pumping?

this page might help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anniemary View Post
    I just noticed yesterday that Joey likes to suck with his tongue on the roof of his mouth
    This is super common for preemies. They like to glue that tongue right up there and not let go. What we were told to do in the hospital is this: as you are going in with the bottle or breast and he starts rooting for the nipple, pull down on his chin with a finger until the tongue pops off the roof of his mouth...after a while he will learn to keep it down...

Good luck mama! You can do this!
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; November 28th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You might want to check out the forums under http://www.parent-2-parent.com/forum/index.php

There are a lot of moms there who have kiddos with g-tubes, reflux, etc. and someone there might be able to give you some more advice.

DS-11/06- known IGE allergies to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, lamb, duck, amaranth, mustard and more...
    Outgrew pork, oats, soy, chickpeas, peas, turkey, chicken, shellfish and wheat. He has now outgrown more than half his food allergies

Have you tried using a nipple shield?