Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sharp pain while nursing

Default Sharp pain while nursing

For the past several days I've been having sharp pains in the left nipple while nursing. It also hurts a lot when my ds first latches on, but the initial pain subsides after a few moments. The top half of the nipple is a bit red and swollen, but no itching or burning. I don't have any soreness in the rest of the breast, and the nipple doesn't appear to be cracked. I am using lanolin on it and a breast shell to avoid further irritation. When I first started nursing I had a lot of trouble with sore nipples, but this is completely different. I'm not exactly sure how to remedy this problem so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Sharp pain while nursing

Hmmm...do you think it might be thrush?

Here's something on that: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

Let us know if this helps! I'm sorry you are having pain and discomfort -- I hope we can help you resolve it quickly

I don't think it is thrush, I had asked the ped last week to check him and she said what is on his tongue is milk, not yeast. As for me, the shooting pains aren't constant, so I wonder if I could be feeling the letdown. I'll be seeing the ped again tomorrow, so I'll have her double check that he doesn't have thrush.

Another quick question, how many wet & dirty diapers are 3 1/2 month old infants supposed to have? He's having 4-6 wet ones, and 1-4 dirty ones.

Thanks for your help

mmm, sorry to say I think that it also sounds like Thrush? I have had symptoms before and not ds? Proabotics have been my best friend in situations like this, for me and ds. Also change those nursing pads any time they are moist. You know you can look in his mouth, under the lips is an easy and quick place to look. Let us know...

Baby can be asymptomatic and you can have it. Or vice versa. Doesn't hurt to treat it as thrush, just in case though.

The white tongue is usually milk, yes. But sometimes it never goes away and can be a sign of thrush