Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grandparents puting toddler to bed-how much milk??

Default Grandparents puting toddler to bed-how much milk??

My lo is 17 mths old and her grandparents will be putting her to bed next Sat for the first time ever. We have a wedding to go to and won't be here, she has never been put to bed by anyone but us. We have written down the whole bedtime routine but the nursing is a problem. She has never taken breastmilk from anything but me until recently when she will drink a bit from her sippy cup, usually just a few sips. It holds 8 oz, will that be enough for her at bedtime? She usually nurses for 15min then and is still nursing 4-5 times per day for 10-15 min each time. I very rarely pump so it has taken a good bit of work to get that much milk as I only get about an ounce or so when I pump. Should Grandma give it to her where I nurse her or will that just make her mad?

Thanks!
    Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Grandparents puting toddler to bed-how much milk??

I'd tell grandma to follow your daughter's lead. She may not want the milk. I was gone overnight when my dd was 18 mos and she went to bed just fine without anything, and she was very used to nursing to sleep. She recognized that I wasn't there and was OK with not having milk since it wasn't coming from me. If I were you I'd let grandma and baby work it out together- if she seems to want the milk, grandma can give it. If she is upset getting the milk in your regular nursing spot, grandma can move.

They will be fine, mama. Have fun at the wedding!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'd tell grandma to follow your daughter's lead. She may not want the milk. I was gone overnight when my dd was 18 mos and she went to bed just fine without anything, and she was very used to nursing to sleep. She recognized that I wasn't there and was OK with not having milk since it wasn't coming from me. If I were you I'd let grandma and baby work it out together- if she seems to want the milk, grandma can give it. If she is upset getting the milk in your regular nursing spot, grandma can move.

They will be fine, mama. Have fun at the wedding!
    I agree, my DD still nurses to sleep, she is 20mo and at about 14mo we had a dinner party and the nanny stayed with her. I told her to put her down in whichever way she thought it was going to work. She didn't have a problem. When we came home, she woke up and asked to nurse.

You'll be fine, its easier than what you think it's gonna be

Thanks, I am sure that I am too worried. The good thing is, she doesn't nurse to sleep. She nurses, gets rocked for 5 min by dh and into the crib with her bunny. She is usually asleep within about 5-10 min. She started refusing to nurse to sleep around 9 mths os we started this routine.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

My lo is the same age and nurses before bed like your dd but not to sleep.
    A few weeks ago I was gone all day long and I left dh with about 6 ounces of milk to give her before her nap. He tried to sit and hold her while she drank it but she wouldn't have it.. so he let her to go bed with the sippy cup. Obviously doing that on a routine basis is a bad idea... but if its just once I doubt it will do anything. She drank the milk before she went to sleep and tossed the sippy over the side of the crib...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

That's a good idea but we use a straw cup that doesn't have a valve so I don't think I would let her take it to bed, she doesn't like the regular sippy cup ones. I wonder if she would just sit by herself and drink it? Also, she has gone to bed before w/o nursing when she was too stuffy to nurse and she was fine all night. She has never been good at taking breastmilk any other way. Absolutely refused bottles at all ages but would drink water from them. The lc said it was a "personality" issue, I think it was her nice way of saying stubborn, lol!