Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re-reflux at almost 2.5???

Default Re-reflux at almost 2.5???

So my 27 month-old is still BF and we are both very happy about it He still wakes up once at night (a couple of times when he is teething).
    About a month ago, he started coughing terribly after I BF him just before bed and he got congested so bad and would cough so bad that he would vomit everything every night. Then he would wake up again in the middle of the night and vomit again after he nursed. We took him to a doctor and she gave albuterol sulfate because he had some wheezing. (We also gave him Zyrtek since the doctor said it is a seasonal allergy) We used it for 5 days, the vomiting stopped but he still wakes up at night and starts regurgitating and coughing after I nurse him.
    He was diagnosed with reflux when he was 10 months old and used Prilosec for about 3 months but after that we never had such problems.
    Is it possible that reflux can come and go like this? Should I stop BF him at night. I already have little milk left and I started working full time during the day so I dread taking his night milk from him but maybe I am doing more harm than good???

Default Re: Re-reflux at almost 2.5???

I don't know if it is reflux but I do know that my allergies and congestion have been horrible the last 6 months. I have enough congestion it makes me vomit (sorry tmi) and it is usually in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.
    If it were reflux would it make sense for it to be bothering him at other times of the day too?
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

My son had something very similar that we attributed to potential reflux (though his old pedi said it couldn't be - but Ill spare you that stupid story )

I'd look into it s'more if I were you (as I am doing) and see what they think
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know that when my first son was diagnosed with reflux as an infant the doc said not to be surprised if it "came back." He specifically said not to brush off complaints in later childhood of tummy aches. I also had a friend who's child reflux came back as a preschooler.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

maybe looking at solids intake could help you figure out what bothers toddler.
    Is he eating any cows milk? or soy?