Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! OS/OALD Returned!

Default Help! OS/OALD Returned!

I just started back to work on MOnday and pump every 3 hours, the same schedule my LO was on. The trouble is, is that I have been block feeding and now that I have been pumping at work, my OS/OALD has returned and made my LO very gassy. My block schedules are just to feed on the same side for 2 feedings in a row and then the other side for 2 feedings in a row. This has helped to keep it undercontrol, but now that I am at work, I double pump and it is making my supply go up! Should I just continue the block when I pump and only pump that one side? I am worried that if I do that, I won't be able to express enough milk. I get just enough milk to make tomorrows bottles when I double pump, so If I only pump one side per pumping session, I am worried that I won't get enough. Any suggestions?

Exclamation Re: Help! OS/OALD Returned!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

I have been dealing with the same issue. I am now dealing with an undersupply. I'm not sure what to do myself. I block fed on the weekends and then double pumped during the day. I made too much milk at first, but now I'm not making enough. All I can say is that I hope someone will chime in with some good ideas for us. . . . .

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Help! OS/OALD Returned!

I had the same issue... before I returned to work I was block feeding - using one side for 2 feedings. I started doing that when my LO was 3wks and things had evened out by the time I returned to work which was when he was 6wks. I was double pumping 3x a day to make sure I was sending enough to daycare. By the end of that week, I was back at square one with the OS/OALD/foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. My second week back to work, I was only single pumping - I only used one side per session - if my LO ate on the RT/side in the morning, my first pumping sessiong I was using the LT/side. By the 3rd week, things were starting to get under control. I don't know if you really call it block feeding, but I only use one side per feeding/pumping session.

I was also very afraid that I would not make enough for my LO the next day or I would deal with undersupply, but so far so good. I know every women's different though. Good Luck!!

Default Re: Help! OS/OALD Returned!

I tried block pumping at work, but couldn't get enough for next day's feeding, so I went back to double pumping. I still block feed when I nurse at home (which is only 3x per day so really not a true block, just feed one side per feeding) and although my oversupply has come back, it has sort of regulated now that I have been on this schedule for about a week and a half. I think things just worked themselves out. I hope you all have luck with yours too. keep us posted.