Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adult yogurt and cottage cheese?

Default adult yogurt and cottage cheese?

Hi - I've read that some moms here have given their babies yogurt and cottage cheese. Is it okay to give them "adult" yogurt and cottage cheese or should I buy the kind specially formulated for babies?
    I read the ingredients in cottage cheese (organic) and there seems to be a bunch of stuff in them including salt as the 2nd ingredient.

I ended up buying yogurt which only contained whole milk and the acidophilus, live cultures, etc. added in them.

Default Re: adult yogurt and cottage cheese?

We did plain large-curd cottage cheese and plain organic whole-milk yogurt (not the baby kind).

• First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

From my understanding the main issue with "adult" yogurt is that it's hard to find whole milk yogurt in typical grocery store.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

yep- I think it's just best to give them whole milk varieties (they need the fat) & check for added sugar or sugar substitutes in the ingredient list. I use plain greek yogurt and mix with pureed fruit for flavor.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*AllNightDQ View Post
    From my understanding the main issue with "adult" yogurt is that it's hard to find whole milk yogurt in typical grocery store.
    It IS super hard! Who would've thought!

We could only find one kind at Whole Foods that didn't have crazy amounts of sugar in it. Then we just blend fruit in to give it some taste.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Stonyfield Farm makes organic whole milk french vanilla adult yogurt, and OMG is it GOOOOOOD. And make sure the cottage cheese isn't lowfat. We used organic valley cottage cheese and she loved it.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

I'm a little confused though - since I'm not allowed to start my son on cow's milk yet, how is the whole milk in yogurt and cottage cheese different than cow's milk? Isn't whole milk made from cows? I guess that's where the confusion comes in. Would there still be a possible allergy or intolerance factor in "whole milk"> yogurt and cottage cheese or regular cheese?

I found the whole milk organic yogurt at Trader Joe's. They have organic cottage cheese but it had too much additives in it.

Here's some info that may help:

http://wholesomebabyfood.com/dairy.htm
    http://wholesomebabyfood.com/tipYogurt.htm
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/fee...eesetobaby.htm

Basically ... the milk in yogurt / cheese / cottage cheese has been processed and is easier for LO to digest. Plus the cultures in yogurt can help with digestion.

And, one of the concerns about baby drinking whole milk instead of breastmilk (or formula) is that it doesn't have the nutrition that baby needs at that age.

From an allergy perspective - if your LO is allergic to cows milk, you'll find out regardless of the form that its in. We discovered our DS is allergic to cows milk when he got hives from yogurt at about 10 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

That must have been pretty scary to see your son with hives! Did he get that reaction right away or it took a few hours/days?

Thanks for the links, that article is most helpful!