Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: best time to start..

Default best time to start..

im a 1st time mom,been exclusively breast feeding my 5mo..just wanted input on when is the best time to start introducing solids,how to,and what kind. i wanted to bfeed as long as possible...would love some advice from you pros!

Default Re: best time to start..

Best resources I have on 'hand' are found here and here... many more out there but these are good starting points
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

WHO and AAP recommend that baby be at least 6 months old.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

definitely not until at least 6 months, and lo shows signs of readiness. Personally, we used a combination of purees and baby led solids which quickly progressed to mostly/all baby led solids. We do make the pieces smaller than they recommend in traditional bls because we can't deal with the gagging issues, but at a year old, dd eats what we do and feeds herself with her fingers or will take the spoon and put it in her mouth and hand it back for more. My biggest advice- don't rush it, you don't appreciate how easy it is to just bf until you add regular solid meals, and keep it relaxed, it's just for fun and experimentation until they're a year old and the bm is for nutrition.

here are some great links:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

btw, we started with mashed sweet potato, avocado, & bananas as first food- word of advice- too much banana will stop a baby up quick. Pears & prunes (pureed) help unstop them
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

it's recommended to wait until 6 months and when baby is showing signs of readiness. Some people wait much longer because breastmilk is all a baby really needs until one year. However, I personally feel that it's best to start a baby as soon as recommended and baby is ready (6-8 months) because at the year point they are really going to need to know how to chew, bite, etc in order to get the added nutrients that they will need at that point. Using food for practice is a good idea. Offering lots of food so baby gets experience but not really stressing too much since you know that breastmilk is meeting all their nutritional needs right now
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet