Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not enough milk

Unhappy not enough milk

Hi,
    My baby was slightly premature and I had a C section. My doctor advised me to give him supplements and not breastfeed him until he was a month old. So I used to express by hand. And now that I've started to breastfeed him, I don't have enough milk. I get about an ounce while expressing by hand. And in spite of all this I have leaking breasts. Does spinal anasthesia affect production of milk? How can I increase the milk supply? I've tried herbal remedies available in my country, but they are of not much use. My baby is eager to nurse, but does get tired within a short span of sucking. Someone please help me.
    Last edited by lekshmi; August 12th, 2006 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Had to add one more point

Default Re: not enough milk

Why did your Dr. recc that you not BF for a month? BM is even MORE important to preemies. That would definitely hurt your supply even if you were pumping. I would feed on demand from this point. Your body WILL catch up. Baby may just be at the breast OFTEN to get you to where your supply meets his demand. There are some things that might help increase milk production which some moms swear by : mother's milk tea, fenugreek, oatmeal. Drinks lots of fluid and eat a well balanced diet. If you can't find them in your area you can order them online.

I too had a C-section. The spinal did not work so I ended up under general anesthesia. I do think that we got off to a bad start with BF but only b/c I was unable to nurse for several hours after his birth, not b/c of the particular anesthesias running through me. But I could be wrong.

Congratulations on your LO and keep us posted. You'll find a tremendous amount of great advice and support here. Believe me I know!
    Last edited by luke's mom; August 12th, 2006 at 08:20 AM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I just want to add that your milk supply will catch up if you drink plenty of water and have your baby nurse frequently. Do you still feed him supplements so he doesn't go hungry? I have heard that Root Beer helps. I have tried it and I am not sure if it does or doesn't but I would try everything as long as it is safe. Also the Barq's brand has caffeine but the A&W brand doesn't. I have heard that ice cream is good to eat during breastfeeding, I think mainly for calcium reasons. Well, you can enjoy a Root Beer float and know it is good for your baby. There was a time when I lost my milk. I was moving into a new house and was not drinking enough to compensate for the amount of work I was doing. My poor girl was hungry. I just rested and drank plenty of water while letting her nurse when she wanted. It came back in about a day or so. So make sure you REST! My mom practically lived off rich chocolate milk when she nursed my brother. She said it helped with her milk. I hope it gets better for you and fast! Congrats on your new love.

Congratulations on your LO!
    You said that your son is getting tired at the breast and I just wanted to add that my dd did the same thing - she was basically falling asleep after 1-2 minutes of sucking just to wake up 10 minutes later crying for more (this was going on for hours). We did several things to keep her actively sucking for longer periods - lots of skin to skin contact - undressed down to diaper, change her diaper when switching breasts, lots of gentle massage - massaging her arms, back and legs, and breast compression and breast massage prior and while nursing.
    Also make sure you get enough calcium, iron, and vit B in your diet. I took brewer's yeast to increase my milk supply.
    HTH and good luck!!!

Thanks for responding so soon. It really helped to lift my spirits just knowing that there are people out there who care and want to help. I'll try out your tips and let you know how things are going. I think I'm not taking in enough fluids, so I'll make sure of that. Will keep you posted. Bye.. and thanx again.

Thanks a lot for the advice.Yes, I suppose I should have breastfed well from the beginning. I'm not taking in enough fluids, so I'll see to it from now onwards. I'm feeling much better now that I know someone's listening. Thanks. Will let you know the results.

Thanx for the support. You're right, I must drink more fluids and breastfeed more often. Will keep you posted.