Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update 2: To Exclusively BF or Not

Default Update 2: To Exclusively BF or Not

Its been a month since I started to relactating and trying to increase my suppy and now I'm at a total loss if he can exclusively be nurse or not. We have been trying to nurse as much as possible since Wed. I gave him a bottle maybe twice a day since then. How can I know if he can be exclusiveor not? He seems to nurse about every 1 to 1 1/2 hour but he wont nurse for more than 10-15 minutes unless sleepy. Afterwards, he either gets sleepy or angry. He seems to be swallowing quite well the first few minutes than slows down. When I pump instead of I get only 2 ounces when he drinks a minimum of 3 ounces. I have been trying to exclusively nurse and so far he is mostly fine with it. He just nursing more frequently and wants me to be around more. I figured if I let him nuse frequently, my body will make more than if I pump. I'm just afraid of compromising his health.

Default Re: Update 2: To Exclusively BF or Not

Your body does make more than you can pump. Sometimes the amount you pump nowhere near comes close. Babies can become very efficient eaters as well. There have been times Nolan finished in just 5 minutes. Just trust your baby, trust your body.

As far as frequency...that could be from just about anything. Growth spurt, teething, not feeling very good....doesn't mean you aren't making enough for your LO.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?