Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three and half week old won't stop nursing

Default Re: Three and half week old won't stop nursing

If it's the 3 week growth spurt it should be over in a couple of days! When I started pumping at five weeks it was exactly what your talking about now. He statred taking way longer naps in the afternoon/early evening (at that time he was going to bed at midnight) and I pumped while he slept INSTEAD of feeding him. SInce my body had gotten used to feeding him then I was able to get decent amounts of milk in very short amounts of time. Perhaps this will work for you.

It's interesting what you said about the time issue not being mentioned in any book. The only one I read was put out by the American Pediactric Society and they made breastfeeding sound like the greatest most important thing ever! One of my friends said "it's a trick. They have to make you think that otherwise you'll give up because the baby wants to do it 24/7." I had two other friends who said it was harder than giving birth. SO I went into it thinking it was going to be the worst thing ever(dreading it actually) and knew it was ALL i was going to do for a while and because of the way I anticipated it, we've had a very easy time. Not easy like I didn't go thru what everyone goes thru the 1st few months. But I certainly don't think it was wosre than my 57 hrs of induced back labor!!! And the fact that he needed me all the time ended up making me feel good and important. I put off having children for sooo long because I was afraid I was going to mess it up! The fact that he wanted to be with me all the time (and only me) and I could ALWAYS make him stop crying all by myself made me confident about being his mother early!
    I don't know what I'd do without my boobs! He's given mere attention getters real purpose! You'll get through this and hopefully you'll have a friend who'll go thru it and you'll be able to coach her thru it. My cousins having twins later this month and I've been coaching and supporting her as much as possible. Good luck and congratulations again!

My dd did the same thing when she was 3 weeks old. I thought she would NEVER stop, but eventually she went to 2 - 2.5 hours between each feeding and only feeding twice during the night. I think her growth spurt just lasted longer than "normal!" haha!

As far as green poos, my pedi said (if they aren't super often) that it is because the milk has stayed in the digestive track a bit longer than normal. Since bmilk is so easy to digest babies poo "right away," but sometimes they don't and that is okay, but it will cause green poos.

As far as hind vs. fore, always start with the breast you stopped on during the prior feeding. I found that works the best for us.

I had a hard time at first, too, because I looked at my baby as a client and I was the project manager. I had a hard time accepting that she was a human being, and not all of them are alike. I also had to realize that some things they do are normal for them, even if it wasn't in a book. I stopped worrying so much and started just being mommy and things are SO much better.

Since reading this forum I have noticed that a lot of moms seem to overthink breastfeeding and analyse babies too much. I just relax and go with the flow. No pun intended. If my baby is obviously sick then I worry. I don't really worry about the color of her bm's from day to day. I worry if there isn't a bm. I nurse when my baby wants it and start solids when she acts like breastmilk is not enough. I am raising my 2nd baby and all that stresses me is the occasional illness and if she is be fussy - alot in a day. I know that there are certain things that I haven't gone through and that this forum is good for. I am just stating what I have noticed. Sometimes the only problem is stress. For all the real problems we go through this forum is a true blessing and is truly supportive!