Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why is she still waking up so much during the night?

Default Why is she still waking up so much during the night?

DD is almost 13 months old. She wakes up about 4-5 times per night, nursing for just a minute or two before drifting off back to sleep. If she were actually hungry, I'd assume that she would nurse for much longer, until her belly is full. We cosleep, but before our last long vacation, I had her sleeping in her crib for all of her naps and for at least half of every night. Now, we're back to cosleeping full time because she doesn't want to be in the crib anymore. I figure it'll take some time for her to warm up to sleeping in the crib again. What I did notice when she was partially in her crib that she didn't wake up as much. When she's in bed with me and DS and DH (it changes all the time), she seems to wake up with every movement. The crib is right next to our bed, and when she slept in it, she didn't seem to be bothered by noises.

Is 4-5 times during the night normal? Could it be that cosleeping is the culprit?

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Why is she still waking up so much during the night?

Indeed is normal for your LO - while some kids can sleep through at a "young" age, others can't. This resource offers some information regarding sleeping through the night.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

very normal... my lo only started waking less than 4-5 times at around 22 months old, it was very gradual and now at 29 months old will usually sleep a 7 hour stretch. Teething during the second year is a very common cause for night waking, and also some children just take longer to develop a more adult like sleep pattern.

Red face Re: Why is she still waking up so much during the night?

i think night waking is very normal especially for breastfeeding babies. i kept thinking my 14 month old would sleep through the night at some point since he did it when he was about 7 months, but it lasted for about 3 days and that was that. he now wakes up 1x a night usually with the occasional 4+ wakings if he is getting in some teeth.

You might check out "No cry sleep solution for toddlers" from your library. It has a chapter on helping co-sleepers to sleep through the night without nursing.
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

ooh... my 14 month DD does the same thing. Wish I had an answer for you, but will be watching this thread for helpful posts!

so far it sounds pretty normal!

mama in love
    7-29-07

It's funny you have this post because i was just going to post the same thing. My son is almost 13 months (bday is 9/25/07) and we co-sleep.

On a "good" night..he'll want to nurse about 2-3x during the night, and he typically sleeps from 9pm to 9am...12 hrs. So he'll just want to nurse every few hours and we all get some good sleep.

But more often than not, he'll want to nurse about 4-5x during the night - which with cosleeping is easy - since i just nurse him, and a few minutes later he lets go and drifts back to sleep. He never usually "wakes" up and there is no getting out of bed or anything (no rocking/singing/etc).

One thing I found that helped w/ reducing the night nursings is to keep a few diapers on my dresser. We use disposables....anyhow, it seemed that a few times where he was really fussy - meaning, wanted to nurse but was still fussing around - he had a really wet diaper. So i'll just change it in the bed and he drifts off to sleep much better. I snap open his onesie and do it like in 30 seconds and he doesn't wake up. That has helped us a little.

I nurse on demand - and LOVE nursing - but I need a few hours of solid sleep too!

For the last week or so, he's been wanting to nurse literally every hour though...and I can't figure out why. Is he teething? Growing? We're in CA and it's been cold / hot / cold / hot...is it the weather? I have no idea.

But last night, he was just whining and whining....and even after i nursed him, he wanted to just "hold on" for comfort...and it's ok usually, but he has some chompers! And grips pretty hard....so i'd gently release him and he'd get frustrated.

Oh well, if it's normal for them to nurse 4-5x a night then i can accept it. I love snuggling w/ my little one and my husband and i are all into cosleeping - and i love nursing. But some nights - like last night - where i think i only got 3-4 hrs of sleep MAX are difficult.

And it's hard when i can't talk to my pediatrician about it or my sister etc...who are asking why i haven't switched to cow's milk yet...or "wow, do you still have enough supply to nurse him"?? so thanks for letting me talk ladies!

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lababy1 View Post
    It's funny you have this post because i was just going to post the same thing. My son is almost 13 months (bday is 9/25/07) and we co-sleep.

On a "good" night..he'll want to nurse about 2-3x during the night, and he typically sleeps from 9pm to 9am...12 hrs. So he'll just want to nurse every few hours and we all get some good sleep.

But more often than not, he'll want to nurse about 4-5x during the night - which with cosleeping is easy - since i just nurse him, and a few minutes later he lets go and drifts back to sleep. He never usually "wakes" up and there is no getting out of bed or anything (no rocking/singing/etc).

One thing I found that helped w/ reducing the night nursings is to keep a few diapers on my dresser. We use disposables....anyhow, it seemed that a few times where he was really fussy - meaning, wanted to nurse but was still fussing around - he had a really wet diaper. So i'll just change it in the bed and he drifts off to sleep much better. I snap open his onesie and do it like in 30 seconds and he doesn't wake up. That has helped us a little.

I nurse on demand - and LOVE nursing - but I need a few hours of solid sleep too!

For the last week or so, he's been wanting to nurse literally every hour though...and I can't figure out why. Is he teething? Growing? We're in CA and it's been cold / hot / cold / hot...is it the weather? I have no idea.

But last night, he was just whining and whining....and even after i nursed him, he wanted to just "hold on" for comfort...and it's ok usually, but he has some chompers! And grips pretty hard....so i'd gently release him and he'd get frustrated.

Oh well, if it's normal for them to nurse 4-5x a night then i can accept it. I love snuggling w/ my little one and my husband and i are all into cosleeping - and i love nursing. But some nights - like last night - where i think i only got 3-4 hrs of sleep MAX are difficult.

And it's hard when i can't talk to my pediatrician about it or my sister etc...who are asking why i haven't switched to cow's milk yet...or "wow, do you still have enough supply to nurse him"?? so thanks for letting me talk ladies!

ack! i was just going to post this too! i can almost "ditto" everything in the immediate pp. it's so nice to know i'm (and you all, too) not alone in this... we are all walking around completely sleep deprived 12 months or so, later.

i totally love nursing my DS, but i would be lying if i said i wasn't looking forward to the night that he sleeps through the night.

^Ditto here, too. She still nurses every 1.5-2hrs around the clock. Even at night. We co-sleep, too!

In my experience, it is very unusual for a co-sleeping, breastfed infant or toddler to NOT wake (or partially wake) every 1-3 hours to nurse.

If you think yours, and the other bed occupants', movements are waking her, perhaps you could try putting her in a side-by-side type crib -- like the Arms Reach Co-sleeper, or any crib with one rail removed so that the mattress is more or less level with your bed, or better still, as many mattresses as you need on the floor so that there's room for everyone! That way she is right beside you, and you can either pull her over to you to nurse, or scoot over to her, and then back when she is asleep again, but she won't feel every little movement on the mattress you (and everyone else) sleeps on.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb